Menu

Arrgh! Google Search Engine

Tohru

I know that Google starts to "personalize" your searches to whatever it thinks you want to see, however it is seriously starting to frustrate me.  If I google something, I will only get hits from the websites that we have frequented before - message boards, merchants, blogs we've read, etc.

Usually I want to find out something other than the regurgitated information I already know or something completely different.  Is there a setting to turn this personalized search off? Or is there a better search engine out there?

I delete cookies/cache and local storage databases. Even if you are not logged in your google account, they still track you. I have a Mac and I go to Safari/Preferences/Privacy and delete all website data. In iPad you need to go to Settings/Safari and clear cookies and data. I am not sure how to do it in PC. Cleaning the data actually makes your computer a bit more efficient, and it affords you a sliver of privacy, if that's possible in today's internet. 

When searching for something where you want truly new information, switch to In Private browsing (hold down ctrl and shift key at the same time, and then hit the letter P to do this) as or clear your cookies so that your preferences are not stored with Google.

I know that Google starts to "personalize" your searches to whatever it thinks you want to see, however it is seriously starting to frustrate me.  If I google something, I will only get hits from the websites that we have frequented before - message boards, merchants, blogs we've read, etc.

Usually I want to find out something other than the regurgitated information I already know or something completely different.  Is there a setting to turn this personalized search off? Or is there a better search engine out there?