Menu

America: The Story of Us

Seasider

I've been pulling together suggestions for supplemental history to go along with SOTW3. I have seen this History Channel program mentioned on several blogs. Two questions.

Is it any good? I see it got panned by many, but they may not have been wanting it for supplementing 4th grade American history. I'd love to know what hivers think about it.

If it's good, is it appropriate for a 10yo? It appears to be dramatized. If there is anything I need to be warned about, I'd appreciate a heads up.

It would make a good supplement for a 4th grader IMO. We have watched particular parts and pieces as a family.

If you're unsure of sensitive issues I'd prewatch. My young kids have been fine with it, but they are not easily bothered by movies. Mine reenact Dr. Who scenes that a friend doesn't let her kids watch because it would scare them too much. It all depends on what they're used to. *shrug*

We just started watching it and ds (10) and I really enjoyed it, dd7 enjoyed it but found a few of the scenes 'scary'- like the battle scenes. We've only watched one so far so cannot comment on the rest. I plan to keep watching but will just have dd leave the room during intense parts.

I love it. D and I watch it sometimes. It's super detailed and feels like stepping into the past. I watched an episode on the Suez canal that had me mesmerized. I'm not a history buff and was never even a little bit interested in the Suez canal. 

I downloaded these for our American history unit, after SOTW3. http://www.amazon.com/AMERICA-Story-Us-Book-America-ebook/dp/B008479OY4/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409672900&sr=1-2&keywords=america+story+of+us

The link is for the first one. There are 4.

I've watched the first few episodes, I really enjoyed it but found it way too graphic for an elementary student. The part about the Donner party was especially detailed and disturbing, and the flashback style cinematography makes it kinda creepy in my opinion. Definitely pre-screen the episodes!