Menu

Saxon 5/4

puddleduck

Just a few quick questions regarding Saxon 5/4.

We live in a country where 3 ring binders are not used, we have 2 rings and 4 rings. The worksheets are hole punched, but won't fit in our binders. Do you think the binding of the worksheets will hold out a whole year? It looks rather flimpsy.

I'm also surprised by the binding of the Saxon textbook. It's not what I expected. Being able to use he book again and again was one of my reasons for going with a textbook than a workbook curriculum. Now I'm wondering whether I'll let my son write in the textbook or not. Do you copy the respond sheets from the back of the worksheets booklet or do you use a notebook for the answers?

Thanks!

I used to copy the response sheets from the back of the book, but this year my kids switched to writing the answers in notebooks. It's so much easier this way but for a younger child, I think the response sheets are easier for the child to manage. Also, this year I stopped ripping out the drill sheets.

The binding is very strong - my books (5/4 through Algebra 1) are on their 5th year, and look as good as new.

My daughter is using 5/4 this year.  We are writing directly in the test/worksheets book, but for the text book we are copying onto notebook paper.  This has been an adjustment as she has made some mistakes in copying that have then made the answer wrong but we are getting used to it.  

My kids copied the problems from the actual book; we never wrote in the books.  

As for the drill sheets (or other worksheets) - we did write on those.  I just stapled those to their lesson assignment and had them placed in a 3 ring binder. If you don't have access to a 3 ring binder, just get a box that will fit a stack of papers, and staple and stack the lessons there if you are wanting to save them.  

We also have always written directly on the test sheet, but I wish I would have had my kids copy them onto notebook paper just like they did for the lessons.  If you plan to use the same book for multiple kids, I would have them copy the test problems onto notebook paper.

The binding used for all the Saxon books has been excellent for us.  I've never had an issue with them wearing down or coming apart.

We just store ours in pocket folders when we are done; no need for binders.

The binding on the Saxon math books has been super-strong and has held up very well.   I just have the kids write the questions and solve them on notebook paper, staple the (torn out) drill sheets to the lesson, and then file the entire thing in the pocket folders.

Just a few quick questions regarding Saxon 5/4.
We live in a country where 3 ring binders are not used, we have 2 rings and 4 rings. The worksheets are hole punched, but won't fit in our binders. Do you think the binding of the worksheets will hold out a whole year? It looks rather flimpsy.
I'm also surprised by the binding of the Saxon textbook. It's not what I expected. Being able to use he book again and again was one of my reasons for going with a textbook than a workbook curriculum. Now I'm wondering whether I'll let my son write in the textbook or not. Do you copy the respond sheets from the back of the worksheets booklet or do you use a notebook for the answers?

Thanks!

Yeah, the older editions are hardcover. The Intermediate 3, 4 and 5 editions are also hardcover.

My youngest is using Intermediate 3, and I'm planning to stick with Intermediate through 5. I'm hoping that maybe by the time he gets to the upper levels, they'll be re-released in hardcover again. I just don't like softcover textbooks.

That describes the books I have (5/4-8/7).  The binding is deceptively strong.

I'm wondering if the different editions have different bindings. Mine has a softcover, which I personally think is crazy for the amount of pages, but it has perforated tear-out papers. It looks more like a workbook than a textbook.

We copy the solution graph pages. It is a big jump learning how to copy the problems and not just answer them in a workbook format. I like how neat the graph paper makes it! As others have said we also write on the tests and fact pages. We've never had any problem with the books binding.