Menu

s/o IL's visiting,how often do you visit your adult children

Teresa in MO

We have 4 dc that live in different areas of the country than we do.  My dd lives 4 1/2 hours from us and has 4 of my grandbabies.  We try and visit at least once every six weeks.  I have a wonderful SIL who tells us we are welcome to come as often and stay as long as we like.  Because its hard to travel that distance with 4 dc under the age of 5, they will visit us about 4 or 5 times a year.  I have another dd who lives 26 hours away.  We just came back from our 1st visit, she has been married 3 years. We saw my 18 mo grandson for the first time. They come to see us once a year, but due to circumstances was unable to last year.  We couldn't visit them before now due to my dh having an accident off the roof and needing two surgeries on his ankle.  I have a single ds who lives 5 hours away.  We visit him about once a year, he will visit us about 4 times a year.  My other ds doesn't stay in one place for very long because of contract work, so he will visit us about 4 or 5 times a year.  When I was reading the IL thread on how far away and how often they visit, I couldn't imagine not visiting as often as we do.  In fact, we are visiting my dd now for the holiday weekend that lives 4 1/2 hours.  It is important to me that my grandchildren know us.  We also started a yearly tradition and had my 4 grandchildren at our house for two weeks this summer!!!!!!  So, how often do you visit your dc?

Dd lives in New Jersey. We saw her the week after Thanksgiving 2013, and she came home for a week to help dh coordinate our care after the accident. We will see her again the week of this Thanksgving. She and hubby are hoping to spend Easter 2015 with us. No oneis planning on traveling over Christmas because another winter with lots of blizzards and ice is predicted. Since she is a first responder, she can't go on vacation and get stuck away from work.

Two of my dds and my only grandson live in Atlanta, one dd in Knoxville and two still at home. This forms an almost equilateral triangle with travel times of 4-5 hours between each. I drive to Atlanta 4 or 5 times a year and the girls in Atlanta drive here a couple times a year. The one in Knoxville drives to where-ever everyone else is. So I see all of them several times a year. 

We can't travel at the major holidays because dh needs to be in town for Sunday. Our travel is limited to a month in the summer.

Our ds is the only one who lives far. We saw him for two days a few weeks ago, and he'll come home for Thanksg. After that, IDK--it might be Aug of next year before I see him again. It's 8 hours or so away, and he doesn't have the funds to fly.

We have 4 dc that live in different areas of the country than we do.  My dd lives 4 1/2 hours from us and has 4 of my grandbabies.  We try and visit at least once every six weeks.  I have a wonderful SIL who tells us we are welcome to come as often and stay as long as we like.  Because its hard to travel that distance with 4 dc under the age of 5, they will visit us about 4 or 5 times a year.  I have another dd who lives 26 hours away.  We just came back from our 1st visit, she has been married 3 years. We saw my 18 mo grandson for the first time. They come to see us once a year, but due to circumstances was unable to last year.  We couldn't visit them before now due to my dh having an accident off the roof and needing two surgeries on his ankle.  I have a single ds who lives 5 hours away.  We visit him about once a year, he will visit us about 4 times a year.  My other ds doesn't stay in one place for very long because of contract work, so he will visit us about 4 or 5 times a year.  When I was reading the IL thread on how far away and how often they visit, I couldn't imagine not visiting as often as we do.  In fact, we are visiting my dd now for the holiday weekend that lives 4 1/2 hours.  It is important to me that my grandchildren know us.  We also started a yearly tradition and had my 4 grandchildren at our house for two weeks this summer!!!!!!  So, how often do you visit your dc?

I live in the middle of Texas. One dd lives near Fresno, Calif; the other lives in Seattle. It's been almost two years since we were on the West Coast, and we won't be going back until May 2015 when we'll go to Disneyland for our dgs's fifth birthday. Seattle dd came out last fall with dgs, but I won't see Fresno dd until next year.

It's just too far for any of us to travel very often.

Our older daughter lives in Chicago, about 9 hours from us. We are lucky that Megabus travels between our city and Chicago, so I go up about four times a year to see ballets. (She is a dancer.) And she comes home two or three times a year. The most we have had to pay for round-trip travel is $52, and we have made several round trips for $2. I am very thankful that we can use the Megabus service!