Menu

Dd strep throat again--please help

Ipsey

Dd used to get strep very often--probably 5 times a year.

She had her tonsils out 2 years ago and only gets strep 2-3 times a year now. 

She has a case right now. She's had a sore throat for 2 days, and now we see the white and blisters at the back of her throat. :(  We should have gone in sooner, but we hoped it was just a cold and would pass.

Where can we take her? Our insurance is horrible. We have only catastrophic insurance--which is all we can afford now. I don't suppose any place will just write her a prescription without a culture.   Is it dangerous to wait until Tuesday. That's the first day of school. She is in great pain and miserable. I just don't know what to do, and my husband and I are currently between jobs. :(

Thanks for suggestions.

CVS Minute Clinic or some other local walk in clinic? I haven't found them to be much more than what my Dr. office bills my insurance for an office visit.

You could try calling her pediatrician. Although, I doubt that they will offer a script without a culture or a look at the throat.

Try calling her Dr., if she has been seen in the last six months or so some dr's will call in a prescription based on description of symptoms for a common problem you have dealt with many times.

Has the rest of your family had cultures done before? Getting strep that frequently may indicate that someone in the household (possibly even a pet) is a symptomless carrier.

Try calling her Dr., if she has been seen in the last six months or so some dr's will call in a prescription based on description of symptoms for a common problem you have dealt with many times.

Has the rest of your family had cultures done before? Getting strep that frequently may indicate that someone in the household (possibly even a pet) is a symptomless carrier.

This.  Sounds like someone around her is a carrier.  May even be a friend.

We had this same problem when mine were younger.  Turns out my other one was a carrier, and when they got it again after my dd being treated, found out one of their best friends was a carrier.  Once she got treated, they didn't get it again for about 7 years.  Oh, and I noticed if they ate yogurt at least twice a week, they were less likely to get sick.