Menu

Buying an interim car?

blondeviolin

Our mini van is slowly kicking the bucket. Rather than sinking endless amounts of money into it, my husband and I are entertaining the idea of buying an excursion or suburban for $8000 or less WITH a warranty. The big car we'd love to have is an NV passenger, but they are still too new out for my liking. In four or five years, buying a used one won't be so bad. If we get 4 years out of a bigger interim car, we'd pay less per year than we did originally for our mini van.

We're gonna need a bigger car sooner rather than later anyway... Add in the thought that we just moved to Alaska so the 4-wheel drive is appealing as well.

We'd be paying cash for it. Dumb idea?

When i saw your thread title, I was thinking "interim" meant a few months, but 4 years is a long time, so if there's something you really like and you can get a good warranty on it, I think you should go for it! :)

Not really. We're talking the difference between $8k and at least $40k. The car he really wants has only been out less than two years. We can't find it used up here and I refuse to buy a brand new car.

Not really. We're talking the difference between $8k and at least $40k. The car he really wants has only been out less than two years. We can't find it used up here and I refuse to buy a brand new car.

Well, maybe I'm not the best person to respond to your question, because we like cars and buy new ones quite often, but since you said you want to wait a while because you figure it will be about 4 years before you can find the car your dh really wants at a price you want to pay, I think you're still better off buying the used-with-warranty $8k vehicle than keeping your minivan, which may not last that long in the end, anyway. Your per-year cost of an $8k vehicle is very low, and you'll still get a little something for it when you trade it in, so I think the $8k vehicle is a good value for you right now.

Unless your dh has his heart set on the brand new car and you decide you don't mind spending the money on it. :)

I think we're gonna do it. The next repair on our van is going to be the timing belt. It's hard to get at, which makes the repair ~$1800. The van is only worth like $1500...

So yay, new car for us soon!

No pressure to hurry up and get it or anything, but we will be expecting pictures.... ;)

I hope you find something both you and your dh really love! :hurray:

We are in the same position with my car, it has nearly 200,000 miles on it, an oil leak somewhere, a brake fluid leak some where, the automatic lock on the drivers side is out, the back driver door handle doesn't work right, both rear struts are broke and the A\C doesn't work right either. Dh wants to get me car/truck that will get through nursing school and the first year of work (so about 4 years). At that point I can pretty much buy whatever I want since my income will mostly be cushion/play money.

Luckily I only need to fit four people, two of those in car/booster seats