Menu

ss

Enjoyinglife365

I speak not as an admissions person, but as an instructor at a university. Attending tutoring, writing centers, learning centers etc is a smart thing to do and creates habits for academic success. We encourage students to avail themselves of such opportunities - not after they have failed a test, but as a proactive measure. I do not see this come across as a weakness, but rather as a strength. If his grades are good, I can not imagine the tutoring class to have any negative impact.

Don't worry about it. College often list little things on transcripts like 1/2 credit study skills courses. Our state university has some funky titled 1/4 credit PE courses like zumba and one called "Awesome Abs." It is normal for stuff like this to appear and it doesn't cause any problem.

Making use of the tutoring center is never going to be seen as a negative in admissions. Good students seek out and make the most of campus resources and that includes the writing and math center. That's exactly the sort of responsibility and dedication that reads as a positive in admissions.

I cannot imagine seeing that a student took advantage of the resources available to them to learn the material being a disadvantage. Heck, if I were on the admissions team I would be positively inclined towards them because they're self-aware enough to know when they don't get it and seek out tutoring.

I speak not as an admissions person, but as an instructor at a university. Attending tutoring, writing centers, learning centers etc is a smart thing to do and creates habits for academic success. We encourage students to avail themselves of such opportunities - not after they have failed a test, but as a proactive measure. I do not see this come across as a weakness, but rather as a strength. If his grades are good, I can not imagine the tutoring class to have any negative impact.

I agree with Regentrude on this. It shows responsibility and due diligence. I really don't think it's a problem.

FWIW, I had 8 0 credit semesters of Speech/Language lab (working 1-1 with a speech pathology major to continue the speech therapy I'd had on an IEP in PS into college) and 2 1 credit semesters of adaptive PE and 6 0 credit semesters of "physical training and rehabilitation" on my transcript (read both as adaptive PE/PT with the athletic trainer due to having had an IEP calling for APE and PT in high school). No one has yet commented on it, in 20 years. Not at the grad school level, not at the workplace level.