Menu

Is "Trigonometry" a separate course in high school?

"Back in the day" every so many decades ago, when I was in high school, I took Alg, Geometry, Alg/Trig, and Pre-Calc.  So Trig was kind of rolled into Alg 2 and probably into Pre-Calc as well (from what I remember).

At our cc, Pre-Calculus and Trigonometry are 2 separate classes - both are pre-reqs for Calc I.

I also see "Trigonometry" as a high school course here and there on the web.

I am just wondering - is "Trigonometry" a separate course on your high schooler's transcript?  If so, is it 1 high school credit, or 1/2 credit?  And where does it fall in your course sequence?

Thank you!!

In our case no it isn't.  Math in my province is integrated so trig just falls under math 30 (grade 12 math).  That said due to the curriculum my kids are using they will be studying trig separately, then writing the provincial diploma exam so their transcript will just say math 30 but they are doing each component separately (that's because we are using an american program)

No. My high schoolers cover trigonometry as part of their precalculus course. Precalc is one credit, with about half the time spent on trig within that.

College offerings I have seen are typically college algebra and trig as one semester each; together they cover the contents of a one year precalc course.

You might want to look at the syllabi what is covered in the CC's "Precalculus" course. It might be that they are just doing the college algebra portion, which would necessitate a separate trig course.

Frequently, when a university offers both precalc and trig, and both are prerequisites for calculus 1, it is split as follows:

College algebra + trigonometry -- covers both topics from scratch, designed for students who have not had precalculus in high school or have completely forgotten it.

Precalculus -- one-semester rapid review for students who had precalculus in high school, but are a little weak in it.

This precalculus is a very accelerated course, basically covering most of a high school precalculus course in one semester.

There's no intrinstic reason to call it precalculus instead of trigonometry or trig/analytic geometry or anything else, but precalculus is going to be most familiar to admissions officials. Similarly, I'd call algebra 2 that instead of advanced algebra, regardless of what the textbook says.

tl;dr summary trigonometry is not necessary as a separate course if you do a pre-calculus textbook.

After taking Algebra 2 at home in 10th grade, my daughter took two math classes at the local community college in 11th grade.  The first quarter she took College Algebra; the second quarter she took Trigonometry.  Both classes used the same textbook - Sullivan's Precalculus.

Regards,

Kareni

In my district, Algebra 2, Precalculus and Calculus are offered at the highschool level to kids in PS. Trig may be offered by some high schools, but I don't know of it for a fact, I think that Trig is spread between Algebra 2 and/or Precalculus at the high-school level, I have only ever heard folks around here say that Trig is included in  high school PreCalculus here.

In the public universities and community colleges in my state (the sequence is standardized state-wide, or so I've been told) then the classes are seperated--PreCalculus is one course, Trigonometry another but they are both taught from a single book titled "PreCalculus".

When it is College Algebra + Trigonometry (one semester of each) at the CC/State University, these two courses combined cover roughly one full-year high school precalculus class. So you could choose (assuming the student took both in the same year) between one credit for precalc and one half-credit for CA + one half-credit for Trig -- both would be legit. I wouldn't assign 2 if they were taken in the same year; it looks like padding. 

In our public schools, right triangle trig is part of geometry. The majority of trig is the first half of precalculus. The second half of precalculus is sequences, series, polar, parametric, vectors, complex plane, extension of rational functions to include limits and difference quotients,...

When I grew up, our high school was on a trimester system and the trig class was separate. But these days, our local public school just do Algebra-Geometry-Algebra2-PreCal.

When in doubt, go to the website for your local public schools and see how they label the classes.