Menu

How to stop my avatar pic from showing up everywhere?

Joker

I get around easily enough on computers but this kind of stuff escapes me. I have an avatar pic on this site but it is showing up in many other places. How do I keep that from happening?

ETA: To clarify - I don't want my avatar pic here following me around in other places online. I have joined/registered at a few places online recently and as soon as I sign up my avatar pic from here pops up as my avatar pic in all of those places.

If you had it hosted on your own site there's a way to stop a user from right clicking and saving (I had a friend that ran a forum do this favor for me once because a picture of myself was reused somewhere). But other than that, I don't think there's a real way to do anything. Anyone that finds this image in a google search or on this forum can yank it.

I don't care about the image. My avatar pic that I put on here for this site is showing up in other places I register at. I want to know how to stop that.

I think I figured it out. It seems to have been setup through gravatar. I have no idea how. I went there and there was an account with our email. I deleted the image from there and here. It's still showing up on the places I registered with this week, though. I'm now working on deleting it there. I had no idea an avatar could follow me. The gravatar account had a completely different user name from all the other places but the same email account.

I had the same thing happen to me. The avatar I have on here is the only place I have ever uploaded that picture. I commented on a blog last week and that picture popped up. I am not registered with that blog or that blogs provider. No one else's picture was on that blog, it kind of creeped me out.

If you had it hosted on your own site there's a way to stop a user from right clicking and saving (I had a friend that ran a forum do this favor for me once because a picture of myself was reused somewhere). But other than that, I don't think there's a real way to do anything. Anyone that finds this image in a google search or on this forum can yank it.

PSA: Don't let this give you a false sense of security. It's not that hard to take a screenshot and use a photo editing program to trim it if someone really wants to steal an image.