Menu

Please help with creating web pages

Night Elf

Ds has an assignment in English to create a 4 page website. They said he didn't have to publish it, just send a link to the files. So how do we create web pages and have them saved to our computer? I tried Wix.com,  but it saves the pages within the website and if I want to let someone view them, they have to sign into my account. It obviously has an option to publish, but I'm not sure I like that. Besides, could just anyone view the pages? Can someone help me figure this out? Is there a better site that lets us create web pages and save them to my computer instead? I don't know how this works.

You could go ahead and keep the Wix.com pages, but then, within your browser, use the browser option to view the page source code.  Then, copy and paste the source code into a text file on your computer's hard drive.  (That's just one way, if you've already used wix.com to do some work on it.)

You could go ahead and keep the Wix.com pages, but then, within your browser, use the browser option to view the page source code.  Then, copy and paste the source code into a text file on your computer's hard drive.  (That's just one way, if you've already used wix.com to do some work on it.)

Nope, won't work. It gets stuck on the page that is looking for the editor. Ugh! I did send an email to the teacher to ask her opinion and told her we'd prefer to use power point. I don't know if she has the authority to change the assignment in the course. It's an online school.

If you use Microsoft Word or Powerpoint, there is an option to publish as html (web) pages. I'll find you the instructions, it's really easy.

Found one

"If you work in Word on a regular basis, creating a Web page is very simple. You can save any document in Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) format. To turn a document into a Web page, use the Save As command on the File menu to save the document to HTML format. In the Save As dialog box, just choose Web page in the Save as type list."

The instructions for PowerPoint are longer and near the bottom half of this link

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/create-a-web-page-in-your-favorite-office-program-HA001054780.aspx

If you use Microsoft Word or Powerpoint, there is an option to publish as html (web) pages. I'll find you the instructions, it's really easy.

Found one

"If you work in Word on a regular basis, creating a Web page is very simple. You can save any document in Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) format. To turn a document into a Web page, use the Save As command on the File menu to save the document to HTML format. In the Save As dialog box, just choose Web page in the Save as type list."

Just to give you  heads-up on this:

while this is a very easy way to make some kind of html page by saving it as htlm from Word, the code Word creates is extremely convoluted and cluttered and a pain to edit in the source code. There will be pages and pages of unnecessary formatting commands to accomplish something a few lines of clean htlm code would have done just fine.

OP: I recommend that your student learn some basic html and create the pages in a simple text editor. It's not rocket science and easy to learn. you can then open the html file in any web browser without publishing it to an internet site.

Nope, won't work. It gets stuck on the page that is looking for the editor. Ugh! I did send an email to the teacher to ask her opinion and told her we'd prefer to use power point. I don't know if she has the authority to change the assignment in the course. It's an online school.

I don't know what you mean by "it's get stuck on the page that is looking for the editor".  What editor?

I don't know what you mean by "it's get stuck on the page that is looking for the editor".  What editor?

In Wix.com, when I try to open the web page we created, it has a screen with moving icons and says something about the editor opening the work. I'm not a computer person but I am interpreting that to mean the program that provides the template for building the web page.

Anyway, good news! The teacher got back to me last night and told me we could do it as a power point. She said she's had students provide login information for a site like Wix.com. She's also had some students submit screen shots as jpegs. So ds is going to do the power point since he's most familiar with that and can spice it up to look nice.