Menu

How do you redirect your thoughts to positive things?

Anne in CA

So, today is my day off. I started the day by looking at art on the internet, checking WTM/ Facebook. I was doing good. Then I started reading a book about the Taliban on my Kindle. Bad idea. I started to get upset, worried about people I don't even know across the world, worried about our business, my kids, money. 

I redirected myself by remembering some healthy Bible verses, reading Pam Grout, doing a chore I had been dreading and exercising. Now I am better, lol.

So, what do you do when you need to stop worrying?

I remind myself that worry is my attempt to control something that I can't control.  It's totally ineffective.  I've found myself unplugging from a lot of things- talk radio, cable news, etc.  Small amounts of information are okay, but letting it take too much of my time leads to a feeling of helplessness. 

Something really similar happened to me the other day. My dh left the newspaper on the kitchen table and I opened it up and there were murders, mayhem, stupid political issues and the like. I could feel my heart rate increase and the stress just build. I know that it's good to keep up on current events and such, but the topics and methods they are presented in certain newspaper are very annoying and often intentionally provoking a negative response.

So the best thing for me is to avoid the daily paper and just read the weekly local news, and try to prevent that kind of stress. I get outdoors daily for a short walk with the dog or just around the neighbourhood or yard. If my muscles feel tense, I spend time doing some stretching and a few yoga positions with deep breathing. I exercise regularly with activities I love to do. I play music and sing for pleasure and stress relief. I listen to relaxing music. I spend time with dh and the dc doing fun activities. I have a relaxing bath. I avoid watching lousy TV and movies, and spend time watching only programs I enjoy.  

I do wonder how anyone could keep up with the news and not get distressed. My grand parents read the newspaper cover to cover every day, sometimes two or three newspapers if you count the tiny local ones that came on Tues/ Thurs or Friday, and they were balanced, upbeat people. I wish I could ask them their secret to being informed and being happy, but they are not here. Some of the threads on the board cause me anxiety if  I think about them too much. Trevon Martin upset me for a long time, and anyone who dismissed his death as a mere accident got a real earful from me. The Trevon Martin thread upset me, lol. But I can't just be ignorant of everything distressing. I am doing much better about redirecting my thoughts, and am interested in how other people manage.

1. Centering prayer (Learned when I was a Christian, but adaptable)

Lectio Divina (Christian)

Meditation

Gratitude work - journal, go through the alphabet thinking of something for each letter that I am grateful for, a list, post on FB something positive

Decide in advance something that I will redirect to: scripture, phrase, prayer

Exercise

Laugh

Hold a baby

Reach out to someone with a thank you

Consider if I have "forgiveness" or "resentment" work to do so that I can access better and more positive life skills

Help others

I go to MacDonalds for a vanilla latte and have it there, all by myself. (MacDonalds is the consolation prize because we don't have Starbucks / Costa Coffee / Second Cup).

I play Bach's Goldberg Variations performed by Glen Gould, preferably while I am cleaning the house. I don't know classical music well enough to know if other recordings of it would work as well!

I tidy and clean this house (only good for major upsets as it takes 2-3 hours to do it properly).

My worst worries are things I can / will have to do something about, but don't know what action to take, or whether to take any at all - change the kids school - or not, go back to work - or not, impossible to predict but necessary changes when dh's contract ends in November, etc

Zoloft.

Right on. B)

Sometimes, I meditate and use a mantra or just breathing.

Sometimes, I go for a walk, garden, or pet the cats.

Sometimes, I stew in my troubles for way too long. Nobody's perfect.