Menu

Landry Academy's Japanese Class

Landry Academy has found a teacher for the Japanese 1 and 2 classes!  My daughter and I are very happy.  Japanese is her language of choice for high school.  She studied Japanese 1 last year at Landry, but her teacher was not able to continue this year.  She'll be in the Japanese 2 class this year. Since classes start August 11, they have gone down to the wire in finding a teacher.  Since I bought heavily discounted generic semesters specifically for Japanese, I'm very, very happy today.

What text do they use? Has she been happy with the instruction? My son is interested in Japanese, but it totally freaks me out!

Mine is too, but frankly I told him to master his current languages first (French and Arabic). I cannot take another language on!

OP, congrats. I think managing  resources for foreign languages has been an unexpected source of stress here so I understand your relief!

Mine is too, but frankly I told him to master his current languages first (French and Arabic). I cannot take another language on!

OP, congrats. I think managing resources for foreign languages has been an unexpected source of stress here so I understand your relief!

Our local CC teaches two years of Japanese. As far as things go right now, we are just doing the three languages he is already learning. I told him he could dual enroll for Japanese when he was a junior. With my luck the kid will double down and take to Greek so well I'll have to get something else going before then!

What text do they use? Has she been happy with the instruction? My son is interested in Japanese, but it totally freaks me out!

Her teacher last year was a native speaker and a very good instructor.  Unfortunately, she isn't teaching this year. There isn't any information about the new teacher on Landy's website yet.

Good to hear. My son is also enrolled in that Japanese II course, and I was getting very worried. I purchased the books mentioned in the materials section, but apparently that was from the other teacher, so I may need to re-purchase material for this course.

Just before I bought the books for Japanese 2, I saw that the class was TBA.  The same material is still listed on the website, but I'm going to double check before I buy.   My daughter liked the books from last year and they are not too expensive, so I hope the new teacher continues to use the series.

Our local CC teaches two years of Japanese. As far as things go right now, we are just doing the three languages he is already learning. I told him he could dual enroll for Japanese when he was a junior. With my luck the kid will double down and take to Greek so well I'll have to get something else going before then!

Ours does too, but I'd still have to drive him. And I think learning two languages with non-Latin alphabets is a bit much. If he's still interested after 1 year, I'll throw him into a class.

UPDATE

Ok, so I just received an email from Landry about the new Japanese teacher. It seems that she has backed out and will not teach the classes after all. Landry will make a final decision by this Wednesday on what to do. I feel really bad for Landry, I can tell they are having a hard time finding a Japanese teacher who is also a Christian ( per their requirement). Actually, I think that considering that only 0.09% of native Japanese are Christian ( including all Catholic and Protestant denominations) it is going to be a tall order. It is a shame that they won't consider a nonchristian teacher in this case.

UPDATE

Ok, so I just received an email from Landry about the new Japanese teacher. It seems that she has backed out and will not teach the classes after all. Landry will make a final decision by this Wednesday on what to do. I feel really bad for Landry, I can tell they are having a hard time finding a Japanese teacher who is also a Christian ( per their requirement). Actually, I think that considering that only 0.09% of native Japanese are Christian ( including all Catholic and Protestant denominations) it is going to be a tall order. It is a shame that they won't consider a nonchristian teacher in this case.

Yes, we received the update this morning! I agree.  I wish Landry would consider a non-Christian teacher given the circumstances.  My daughter is so sad.  Japanese is her language of choice.  Why does it have to be this difficult??

I am not a native speaker, but I am a Christian of the RC persuasion. I have an MA in Japanese. Do you think they would hire me? Or maybe dh? He has his MA in Japanese, too, and has several years experience teaching Japanese at the high school level. We've both lived in Japan for many years. 

I'm not all that serious, but...

I am not a native speaker, but I am a Christian of the RC persuasion. I have an MA in Japanese. Do you think they would hire me? Or maybe dh? He has his MA in Japanese, too, and has several years experience teaching Japanese at the high school level. We've both lived in Japan for many years. 

I'm not all that serious, but...

If you are at all interested, please please contact them today!  The class begins July 11th.  Landry is still looking for a teacher.  landryacademy.com.  Look under "our team" for the application process.  My daughter would be thrilled if a teacher is found for the class.  One of the Japanese 1 sessions is almost full, as is Japanese 2.  

I am not a native speaker, but I am a Christian of the RC persuasion. I have an MA in Japanese. Do you think they would hire me? Or maybe dh? He has his MA in Japanese, too, and has several years experience teaching Japanese at the high school level. We've both lived in Japan for many years...

Not to get off totally off topic but....can I ask you about the Japanese Level exams? I really don't fully understand how the levels work or when these are useful for? Sorry for my ignorance but I was just wondering and I thought you might know since you seem to have advanced study in Japanese.

Thanks! ðŸ˜

All I really know (or remember) about them is that a certain level was required if one were to apply for admission into a Japanese university. Other than that, I don't know how important they are. At one point, I started to prepare for them...and then I got pregnant and violently morning sick and that was the end of that.