Menu

Marathon Advice

mommymonster

OK, let's start with the obvious: I make bad choices. My recent bad choice is signing up to run a marathon. I am a weekend run/walker, with more joy in the walking than the running. I have run a couple of half marathons in the past, which went well, but that I'm slow. My favorite distance to run is six miles. I'm overweight, 41 years old, vegetarian, regular health -- no conditions, medicines, etc. I was wondering if other runners could help me trouble shoot some issues that came up today on my long run:

1. I'm embarrassingly slow. Like 17 minute miles. How do I speed up? I don't need to be doing 6 minute miles, but something around 14 would be awesome. As the miles pile on, it seems like I'm getting even slower. 

2. I ran/walked 14 miles today. It wasn't pretty. I got light-headed and nauseous near the end, and my hands were really swollen. I tried Clif Shot Bloks for energy, and I'm wondering I need to try something different? Thoughts? I use Ultima Replenisher as my beverage of choice, just because that is what the marathon has. I've used it for the last few years, and haven't had a problem with it in the past. Maybe I over-hydrated?

3. I have great shoes and socks that normally I have no problem with, but today I got monster blisters. I mean, I've ran/walked for three years and never had a blister before today. Unfortunately, I have monster blisters that are making it difficult to walk. 

4. Does it get better? The distance was rough today. If it's this rough every week until October, I'm going to be a sad, sad person. 

Thanks! 

OK, let's start with the obvious: I make bad choices. My recent bad choice is signing up to run a marathon. I am a weekend run/walker, with more joy in the walking than the running. I have run a couple of half marathons in the past, which went well, but that I'm slow. My favorite distance to run is six miles. I'm overweight, 41 years old, vegetarian, regular health -- no conditions, medicines, etc. I was wondering if other runners could help me trouble shoot some issues that came up today on my long run:

1. I'm embarrassingly slow. Like 17 minute miles. How do I speed up? I don't need to be doing 6 minute miles, but something around 14 would be awesome. As the miles pile on, it seems like I'm getting even slower. 

Do you have a cut off time that you have to be faster than?  If not, don't worry about speed.

2. I ran/walked 14 miles today. It wasn't pretty. I got light-headed and nauseous near the end, and my hands were really swollen. I tried Clif Shot Bloks for energy, and I'm wondering I need to try something different? Thoughts? I use Ultima Replenisher as my beverage of choice, just because that is what the marathon has. I've used it for the last few years, and haven't had a problem with it in the past. Maybe I over-hydrated?

I use whatever they will give me at the stations in the race so my body gets used to it.  I've not run a marathon yet that doesn't use gels.  How often are you taking them?  I've seen everything from every 45 minutes to an hour.  And I drink straight water.  Did you have to stop and pee?  What color was it hen you did.  If it was clear, than yes you over-hydrated.  If it was dark yellow, you under-hydrated.  I re-hydrate very well.  :-)

3. I have great shoes and socks that normally I have no problem with, but today I got monster blisters. I mean, I've ran/walked for three years and never had a blister before today. Unfortunately, I have monster blisters that are making it difficult to walk. 

How old are your shoes though?  If they are 3 years old, there's your problem.  :-)  If they are new shoes, it could be the socks.  You will sweat a lot more while you are out there.  Sweat causes friction.  Friction causes blisters.  Wait for the blisters to really heal before you run/walk again.  I know you feel like you will lose training, but it will come back.  Can you ride or swim in the meantime?

4. Does it get better? The distance was rough today. If it's this rough every week until October, I'm going to be a sad, sad person. 

Only a little bit.  The shorts runs got easier.  The long runs, because they kept getting longer, were easier in the front bit and harder toward the end.  But you should have a plan that allows for breaks, like maybe your run this weekend will only be 12. and then you build for 2 weeks and then a recovery week.  And don't forget the taper at the end.  If your race is in October, your taper could start in September.

Hope this helps.

When you increase distance, it's not a good idea to increase speed too.  You could injure yourself.  Just work on the distance.  

Swollen hands would seem to indicate the need for more water.  Stomach issues are hard. You may have to experiment to figure out what works best for you.  

I would guess you need new socks.  But sometimes, you just get blisters. Try Glide on hot spots.  My dh swears by that stuff. 

I've only done half's, not a full marathon.  My dh thought the training for his 3rd marathon went the best.  He finally felt like it wasn't an impossible task.  My take?  Keep at it.  When it's over you think the 14 mile long run/walk is easy. :)

Thanks! 

One other thing, good luck!  

Thanks, everyone. 

The marathon has an alternative for slower runners/walkers, I'm just embarrassed about being so slow. DH seems embarrassed as well, although he doesn't run, so I'm not sure why I worry about his tender feelings. 

The shoes are about six months old, and have been fine usually. I will buy new socks though, they are about three years old, and have lost their compressing qualities. 

I run twice during the week, with a long run on the weekend. I cross train (swimming, biking, or bark dust shoveling) at least another day per week. 

I did pee during the run, but it was in a dodgy construction porta-potty, so I'm not sure on the urine. I'll play with the hydration / nutrition thing on next week's long run to see what I can do better.

I'm surprised that adding two miles to my distance sent everything into such upheaval. Well, that will teach me. 

The shoes are about six months old, and have been fine usually. I will buy new socks though, they are about three years old, and have lost their compressing qualities. 

Make sure the socks do not have cotton in them; you have to read the package carefully because lots of "running" socks are made with some % of cotton.  It makes all the difference for me.

I found training for and running a marathon very different than a half. As the weeks go by and my distance increased, issues with water, food, socks/shoes, running form, step speed, potty breaks, minor injuries, sore muscles and fatigue became more and more important. Here's what worked for me for the long runs (which is really where the issues have the most impact):

Food: granola bars or raisins

Water/Fluids: use a water belt and drink as needed. You will need a lot more water in hot weather. Refill if necessary (while you do your potty break). If you train with Gatoraide or something like that, then you can race with it. Don't drink it on race day if you haven't been training with it.

Running form: Running more on my forefoot tended to result in less injuries for me.

Step speed: Increasing my ract of steps so that they were smaller and quicker resulted in less injuries and less pain.  I also ran for 10 minutes and walked for 1 minute for my entire first marathon. I trained this way on all the long runs as well. It's very commonly done in Canada, and there are pace bunnies at many big events that use the 10run/1walk method.

Potty breaks: I usually had to do #1 and #2 at some point during the long runs, so I tried to plan my running route accordingly.

Minor injuries:  Treat them immediately after the run with R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). Prevent blisters and chafing with body glide. Use a Band-Aid over old blisters for a run.

Sore muscles: Roll them with a roller. Take a cold bath right after the long run for as long as you can stand it (even a couple minutes is helpful).

Fatigue:  Take a nap after the long run.

And the final suggestion would be to read up on Sport Psychology tips and mental training strategies for running and training for a marathon. It's such a mental achievement, and any strategies you find that help your training are great to use. Practice them, though, so you can do them during the race.

Thanks, everyone. 

The marathon has an alternative for slower runners/walkers, I'm just embarrassed about being so slow. DH seems embarrassed as well, although he doesn't run, so I'm not sure why I worry about his tender feelings. 

I run twice during the week, with a long run on the weekend. I cross train (swimming, biking, or bark dust shoveling) at least another day per week. 

I did pee during the run, but it was in a dodgy construction porta-potty, so I'm not sure on the urine. I'll play with the hydration / nutrition thing on next week's long run to see what I can do better.

I'm surprised that adding two miles to my distance sent everything into such upheaval. Well, that will teach me. 

I really wouldn't stress at all about your speed. Just do what works for you. Running a marathon is a very unique challenge, requiring a lot of physical and mental strength and stamina. Think positive as much as possible. It is tough for everyone, no matter what speed they run.

It sounds like you are doing a lot of good things, and having things happen to you which happen to most marathon runners at some point or other. \

If you have access to a running group, that would be really helpful for you to find out you are not alone, get some tips on what to expect, and some support from others irl.

All the best on this adventure!