Menu

The Giver - the movie

Ann.without.an.e

We love the book.  I feel like they might ruin the movie.  Just viewing the trailer, I see that the kid is about 16 (at least) and he is supposed to be 12.  From what I understand, they weren't even going to use black and white for part of the film until fans freaked out after seeing a full color trailer.  

Just my rambling thoughts.  

I loved the book too, but I don't know about the movie.  I don't remember "the giver" having a particularly large part in the book, but it's been a few years since I read it.

In the end, I don't trust Hollywood to do a book justice.

Yes, Hollywood is pretty predictable like that.  I saw a shirt once that said "Don't judge a book by its movie"  haha

I barely recognized the movie from the trailer. I think the author helped/approved with it, so who knows. It seemed to be much more high action and drama than the story I remember reading .

My kids said the same thing about the trailer....seems like a cool movie, but why are they calling it The Giver.  lol

I barely recognized the movie from the trailer. I think the author helped/approved with it, so who knows. It seemed to be much more high action and drama than the story I remember reading .

I wonder if the trailer is selective editing to make it appeal to a larger audience. Kind of like Bridge to Terabithia's trailer made it look like a fantasy adventure, when it actually stuck pretty close to the book. Or the mashups that make Mary Poppins into a horror movie and The Shining into a comedy.

I read that the movie is not following the book closely and that the author was ok with that.  I read about a few of the changes and I'm probably not going to like it.  I always wonder when authors allow huge changes...do they think those changes would have made the book better, is it just something that works better on film, or is it something they just do for the money?  Wish I knew.