Menu

first world problems

gardenmom5

hardware color for cognac/mahogany color oak desk  

24 members have voted

1. 1. what color hardware

• satin nickle
    • oil rubbed bronze/black

I am refinishing a massive oak corner desk with hutch (think built-in kitchen cabinet materials. i got it for free :hurray: ) for dh to have a nice office for the first time in our marriage.  (he works from home.)

it has six wide drawers - so it will only be drawer hardware showing.  I have restained  (NO gel-stain) the desk a cognac/mahogany color and the grain does show through.  (real refinish job. sanded forever before staining :tongue_smilie: ).   I have done two coats of poly, and have at least two more coats.  I expect the worktop (which is oak) will take as many as six or more coats.  fortunately, they're fairly fast.

but what color hardware :willy_nilly:  

satin nickel,

or oil rubbed bronze

that will also tell me what color light fixture to get :bigear: , as I'm replacing the single ceiling mount with a flexible spot track system to which I can add track and spots.  (and I think I'm going to get it for dh for his birthday in three weeks.  so, I need to order the thing.  :auto: )

so, what saith the hive?

:iagree:

Could you post any pictures?

right now it's in pieces in my garage while I refinish it.  I took the drawer fronts off the drawers, the drawer banks on are on their back, and the countertop is on a table.  the bookcase/hutch and it's shelves (still dated honey oak) are off to the side.   very hodge podge.

I've put three coats of poly, and sanded once.  so now it's drying before I do another sand.  I plan on doing another coat (or even two) of poly on the work top and drawer fronts.

there's no real "character' to the pieces.  they were kitchen cabinet style that was made into a custom corner desk.  two banks of drawers, one on each side.  then the hutch/bookcase running along one long side.

I like the nickle (and I prefer the nickle for the ceiling), but I think the bronze would give it some 'character' and go better with the finish.  and be more manly. ;p  how distracting would bronze/black tracke lighting be on the ceiling?

(dd is the one with a house full of craftsman pieces.)

which has the most staying power?  (I don't do trendy, as it needs to be replaced faster.)

right now it's in pieces in my garage while I refinish it. I took the drawer fronts off the drawers, the drawer banks on are on their back, and the countertop is on a table. the bookcase/hutch and it's shelves (still dated honey oak) are off to the side. very hodge podge.

I've put three coats of poly, and sanded once. so now it's drying before I do another sand. I plan on doing another coat (or even two) of poly on the work top and drawer fronts.

there's no real "character' to the pieces. they were kitchen cabinet style that was made into a custom corner desk. two banks of drawers, one on each side. then the hutch/bookcase running along one long side.

I like the nickle (and I prefer the nickle for the ceiling), but I think the bronze would give it some 'character' and go better with the finish. and be more manly. ;p how distracting would bronze/black tracke lighting be on the ceiling?

(dd is the one with a house full of craftsman pieces.)

which has the most staying power? (I don't do trendy, as it needs to be replaced faster.)

Can you make the hardware oil rubbed bronze but the light fixture solid black? I believe the oil rubbed bronze will have better staying power because it sounds like it will go with the character of the desk. Light fixture metals, though, do come in an out of fashion. Ten years is about the length of that trend.