Menu

Rod & Staff Language arts programs???

erinallport

Hi everyone!

As I mentioned in a previous post about math, I am looking into the Rod&Staff programs.  I am wondering if anyone has used Rod&Staff and if you feel like it is a solid reading and English program? 

I have been using FLL and WWE and just don't know if I really like it. 

I want our kids to have a very rigourous education and I want them to come out at the other end with a rock solid foundation in Reading, Writing, and Math....and I'm hoping you all can help me decide the right path to try and lead them there!

Thanks!

The English courses are rock solid, thorough, and easy to use. These cover grammar and writing. I've been through books 3-8 with my kids.

The spelling series is great. Painless and effective.

I never used their "reading" materials or any reading program beyond learning to read. We just read high quality children's literature.

I like R&S and wish I had started the spelling earlier.  We did AAS and then moved to R&S spelling but wish I had gone back to an earlier level when we did R&S spelling..it's just so good!

The grammar/writing is thorough.  Some years I only did the grammar.  Other years I also did the writing.  Having now tried IEW I can say that R&S would be enough for writing if you added more assignments over the curriculum(like history/science reports).  And some years we get father in the grammar book than others...I don't worry b/c I know it will be repeated and more added on the next year.  Very happy with it.  

This year we are adding reading to my boys school work by their request. They complained of making fun books school work. So they'll still free read but I won't taint the fun by discussing them, etc. Their request. We already use english and spelling with R&S. My boys describe it as not very exciting but big bang for time involved. They've learned a ton from it vs other programs. They feel they learn more during the time they invest in it and they want the least amount of time invested as possible. Lol

Thanks everyone!  I am definitely going to go ahead and take the leap for my 5th grader to the R&S Grammar/Writing program this year....possibly the spelling one too.  I have a spelling workout book that I was going to start with her next week...maybe I'll have her do that one first and then switch when she's done.

I have the language arts program for my 2nd graders from Winter Promise, and after finishing two years of it, I'm totally over it!  LOL!  I like the idea of having their reading time be Bible time too...

Do any of you have experience with the Bible program through Rod & Staff?  Or the math?
I have stuff for them already, but went to an Amish museum/school yesterday and got to look through the R&S books and loved what I saw...I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to switch...since I already have some other stuff. (Math-U-See, God's Great Covenant, FLL, WWE)...any thoughts?

I know you were able to look through the books, but I wanted to let you know that you can order a very good sample of all subjects per grade for free. I think they charge 1.99 (?) to ship. It's at their website milestone books. I got the grade 1 and grade 4 samples and it gave a very good idea of what you can expect. HTH!

I know you were able to look through the books, but I wanted to let you know that you can order a very good sample of all subjects per grade for free. I think they charge 1.99 (?) to ship. It's at their website milestone books. I got the grade 1 and grade 4 samples and it gave a very good idea of what you can expect. HTH!

FYI, that website is now owned by Rod and Staff Publishers. R&S doesn't do Internet. :-)

You can call R&S at (606) 522-4348 and request free samples . :-)