Menu

Suggestions for very *basic* high school literature?

I have a very practical, math- and science- oriented dd. We are going into 8th grade next year, and have almost decided to commit to homeschooling all the way through high school. In some ways, it's quite liberating, as now I'm thinking of the next five years as a whole, instead of trying desperately to be sure we've covered "everything" (as if that could be done) we need for her to be ready for someone else's scope and sequence.

Anyway, all of that to say that I need to make some tentative plans for her study of high school level literature. Thus far, the ONLY thing that we have managed to use consistently is Abeka. We've been using the ABeka readers off and on since third grade, and we keep coming back to them. Just this week, she set aside The Hobbit -- the plan was to read the Hobbit and do a "fun" lit guide that I had for it -- and asked if she could go back to her Abeka 7th grade lit.

Apparently, doing "real books" as a "subject" just sucks all the fun out of them for dd. I had thought it would be the other way around -- choose a GREAT book to study -- but while she loves to read for pleasure, she seems to prefer the "textbook approach" for school.

So, I'm thinking -- why fight it -- and I want to choose a program that matches the following description:

1. Self-directed, not dependent on a lot of "discussion"

2. A workbook component would be helpful but not necessary

3. Anthology of literature as opposed to whole books (I know, I'm probably going to crash the boards just typing that)

4. More logic-stage thinking than rhetoric (even for high school -- this particular student is just not going to be thinking on the "great books" level, it's not her thing)

5. Very basic, explicit instruction in literary analysis and terminology

6. Some composition requirement would be helpful, but it would have to contain very explicit, "here's how to write about literature" instruction.

We have also dabbled in Lightning Lit 7 this year. Dd loved reading Tom Sawyer, but we found the teacher's guide and student workbook a little . . . I don't know -- hard to manage? Not intuitively organized?

I am looking at ABeka, Lightning Lit, and I'd love to know more about CLE. Or any others that come to mind. Oh, and I would certainly ponder LLATL for this level -- even though we've never managed to use it successfully, I still love the idea of it.

Oh, and I should mention I am really seriously considering Sonlight Core 100 for our high school American History, but I'm wondering if dd will be just completely overwhelmed with the literature portion of that core. I do like the fact that the material is directed to the student, that seems to work best for us.

I'm open to any and all suggestions and comments!

My non-lit loving son has enjoyed Lightning's Shakespeare studies. It was just enough analysis to get him thinking and analysizing, but not so much as to overwhelm him.

We are doing LL's Early American Lit right now. Less fun than Shakespeare but very do-able for us both.

The first two years of high school we used Trisms history and literature. That worked well for us, too.

We have worked through Figuratively Speaking and are now going through Walch Prose & Poetry Toolbox. Both isolate literary devices and give very concrete examples. Thus, it is easy to "get" what they are without having to grasp several of them altogether within the context of a larger work.

HTH.

Cynthia

that doesn't mean that she has to read every book they schedule. You also don't have to use SL's LA guide or plans.

My son used SL100 for 8th & 9th grades. We used some of the

readers for his literature credit, but I eliminated a lot and

add a few others.

We used spark notes (on-line) to aid in the discussion. I've

also used FES/Follet's "Novel units" literature guides for several

books. I only bought the student book, which came with basic

comprehension questions, vocabulary worksheets, quizzes, and

tests. A few of them had some suggested writing assignments.

Lightning Lit guides are another idea. You could get one of the

American Lit guides (to roughly match Core 100) and do it

over a year.

Hope you can find something that works!

Brenda

Maybe try LLATL for the literature? I haven't done it, but I remember looking at it and thinking I'd keep it in mind in case my younger, science-oriented one didn't want to do great books. I bought them used and thought they would be just about the right level for high-school-lite, not too long, easy to use, and could be done independently (something my youngest sometimes wants). That would be 2 years (Am lit and Brit lit). Then you could do Jensen's Format Writing for writing for a 3rd year of English. Or maybe do that first and read a few books for fun? Then you'd have: Composition, American Literature, and British Literature on the transcript. And then maybe your child will have ideas for the 4th year. Or you can decide when you get there. So much changes as you go through high school that sometimes it is better not to put too much effort into planning ahead too far. I've also heard people say that they liked PASS literature. It might be just right for what you are looking for. Somebody here will give you a link if you ask.

HTH

-Nan

CLE reading is all those things except #6 isn't included. Join the CLE yahoo group to see the detailed scope & sequence charts in the files and samples in the photo sections of the group. The CLE website isn't very good but you could call them for a sample & catalog. They will send ONE lightunit out for free.

I highly recommend CLE reading. We're currently using gr. 5 & 8 (used 4 & 7 last yr).

Check out Hewitt Homeschooling history programs.

P.S. I just sold LL&C 7 and still own SL 100 (bought and never used).

Here is one textbook to recommend, called "World Literature, revised edition" by Holt, Rinehart, Winston. It looks like a high school text (not college level) and covers world literature in a chronological format. The pages are fairly colorful and not too dense (small print). Very nicely done! I bought a used copy for next year as we study Ancient Literature in ninth grade, but the book covers all time periods up to 20th century.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Literature-Rinehart-Winston-Inc/dp/0030514096/ref=pd_bbs_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202412497&sr=8-10

I bought a used Abeka American Lit book for ds this year, just to use the Scarlet Letter that was reprinted in its entirety in the book. I liked the commentary, and there were some exercises and questions after each chapter. It was easy to use. I would highly recommend trying to find this used, and go thru it. There was a lot of poetry exerpted, and some short stories. It didn't look all that challenging, and I think I found it for about $5 at the local used bookstore. I really did enjoy Scarlet Letter this year because of it.

Really, I was quite pleased with BJUPs lit program. We did the first two years of their 4 year plan. The first book is Fundamentals of Literature and the second is Elements of Literature. They are both anthology based and teach the skills of literary analysis, along with all literary terminology. While it doesn't have a work book, it does have questions for each section and the teacher's guide is really helpful. You could use the teacher's guide/edition as much or as little as you want.

I am sure it would not be too hard for an 8th grader if you wanted to start it next year. We did it in 9th and 10th. We would have used their American Lit this year, but ds is taking it through our homeschool academy instead. And, I will credit BJUP that he was more than adequately prepared for the course. He's making A+'s in there. He was already familiar with analyzing lit because of what we did with BJUP. I would use it again, and if we wind up doing Brit Lit next year, I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

HTH

Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. We started using Abeka this year and my dd...loves it. She does not want to change her lessons one bit. We use the entire Abeka LA series (Grammar & Comp.-Spelling & Voc. - Of People Literature) and I have the TMs. There are some writing exercises, discussion questions etc. in the OPL TM. It isn't prefect, but we use everything daily. I figure that's better than jumping around, and often the best curriculum choice is the one that gets used.

I've almost resigned myself to simply continuing to use it and supplement with more literature. She is currently reading Pride & Prejudice and loves it too. I might have hooked her as a Jane Austin fan at the very least. DiscoveryEducation aka Unitedstreaming has a good unit that works nicely with it. The book studies from LLATL are something we've always used and enjoyed here.

The reading lists from TWTM, BF, and Sonlight are books I always have around in a reading basket. She's still is required to read from the basket daily. We discuss them using the questions from TWTM or she does a brief paper on each when she finishes. She has the option to put a book down after 2 chapters if it isn't working for her.

If your dd is leaning toward Abeka and you all keep going back to it, why not use it. Abeka is a very solid program. We used Abeka 10 World Literature, and it was excellent. The twins really enjoyed the text. Using Abeka's guide we moved along at a pretty good pace. There is absolutely nothing wrong with anthologies; especially if that is the way the child learns best...because after all isn't that the goal.

BJUP is also a very good choice. The books are well done and really give step by step instructions. I looked at Abeka and BJU. I chose Abeka over BJU simply because I liked their sampling of stories better.

This year we are using LL American Early and Late. This is fine as well, however, it does not give step by step instructions to her or you as to how to do literary analysis and what it does give feels superficial.

We want the literary analysis, so I have needed to supplement with analysis activities daily. It has been a great deal of work to get out of it what I think my kids need.

This year we are using LL American Early and Late. This is fine as well, however, it does not give step by step instructions to her or you as to how to do literary analysis and what it does give feels superficial.

We want the literary analysis, so I have needed to supplement with analysis activities daily. It has been a great deal of work to get out of it what I think my kids need.

See, I do want her to do some literary analysis -- and I do NOT want to have to try to come up with my own supplements. So, I'm sure we can use Abeka again for 8th grade, but I guess I better keep looking for something for high school.

Thanks, that was exactly the kind of information I needed to know, I just hadn't asked my question very clearly.

STOP! Okay, wait: You said this year you were using LL American -- so you mean the LL has superficial literary analysis? So, does the Abeka have literary analysis?

Christy B,

Have you been able to look at the Abeka High School books? I can't wait for the spring hotel show, but if you look in the catalog or the web site there are samples. ( I always recommend using the TM's as the student books lack much of the program(s) :)) Also don't discount your dd's enjoyment. Abeka is accredited, and I know many students here, who have used it exclusively through high school. I know more than once, I've caught myself looking for a perfect program all while what we had was working nicely. :rolleyes:

The program overview lists the following:

reading comprehension

reading for enjoyment

writing skills

analytical ability

literary appreciation

vocabulary development

study skills

interest in people, places and ideas.

STOP! Okay, wait: You said this year you were using LL American -- so you mean the LL has superficial literary analysis? So, does the Abeka have literary analysis?

LL does have literary analysis, however we spent last year doing Abeka's World Lit so they had a good base.

If she has had very little or no lit analysis LL may be ok, as it is gentle. Here is a link. Click on the sample lesson that may help to see if this is what your daughter needs:

http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/blight.asp

Another idea is BJU, their grade 9 book is laid out by literary units:

Conflict, Character, Theme, Structure [this is a poetry unit], Point of View and then finally Moral Tone.

Just fyi on Abeka. The chapters for Grade 10 World lit are laid out by: Character, plot, theme, setting and Imagery. So each chapter is a literary unit.

Hence both of these books allow for plenty of practice to learn the concept.

I am not sure about Abeka's grade 9. I glanced at it, but it seemed to cover emotional terms like loyalty and I was not after that. It may have literary analysis in it, I am not sure. But I do know for sure on what I listed above.

• 7 months later...

Am loving Mosdos Press literature. This is my first time using them for my 5th grader and 9th grader.

Can't really chat now about them, but you can check them out at rainbow resources. Look at the samples. I am very pleased.

I do want to say that the teacher's guides are very impressive and helpful. It covers everything you could imagine.