Menu

If I like ... (British damas)

Haiku

NO!!!! That just looks wrong! The woman who played Beth was so incredible, as well as the detective.  And Having DT play the same part but American?And then everyone else different?  And will the killer be the same? I don't like it. It would be so hard to watch it all over again and comparing the performances, plus I can already tell they changed the filming.  The camara work is different, the house and office looked big, like American TV big.  The BBC version kept it so real. The camara work at the houses and beach made it seem so much more intense.  Blah.  

But I can't wait till season 2 of Broadchurch.  

I agree that an American remake is completely unnecessary. Why not just show the British version here? Plenty of British shows are popular, so I can't see that it wouldn't get viewers if the setting isn't in the U.S. David Tennant would be an especially big draw, no matter the setting. 

As far as the camera work though, British and U.S. camera work is very different. They use a different frame rate (sometimes British shows are hard for me to watch even though I love them, because of the frame rate), and they do much of their filming outdoors. I wouldn't think Broadchurch (Grace-whatsitsname?) would be any different as far as that goes.

That's part of its appeal. ;)

:) I understand that it is for a lot of people, and I'm in the small minority who doesn't get it.

I wasn't trying to trash the show or anything. Everyone I know absolutely loves it - my mom is crazy about it and gave me the DVDs after I had politely declined them a half dozen times! So when Tara said she didn't like it either, I was just excited to learn that there is one other person on this planet who feels the way I do. :lol:

I agree that an American remake is completely unnecessary. Why not just show the British version here? Plenty of British shows are popular, so I can't see that it wouldn't get viewers if the setting isn't in the U.S. David Tennant would be an especially big draw, no matter the setting. 

As far as the camera work though, British and U.S. camera work is very different. They use a different frame rate (sometimes British shows are hard for me to watch even though I love them, because of the frame rate), and they do much of their filming outdoors. I wouldn't think Broadchurch (Grace-whatsitsname?) would be any different as far as that goes.

They already did—which makes it even more unnecessary. Broadchurch previously aired on BBC America, and they'll air season two as well. 

:) I understand that it is for a lot of people, and I'm in the small minority who doesn't get it.

I wasn't trying to trash the show or anything. Everyone I know absolutely loves it - my mom is crazy about it and gave me the DVDs after I had politely declined them a half dozen times! So when Tara said she didn't like it either, I was just excited to learn that there is one other person on this planet who feels the way I do. :lol:

My dd wanted me to watch Downton Abbey with her so how could I decline.  I enjoyed the 1st season, but by the end of the second season it just left me feeling antsy and nervous.  I kept finding reasons to leave.  My dd has kept up with it, but I think even she has become disillusioned.  I will say I love, love, love the costumes and sets.  So, no you aren't the only one although I admit we're in the minority.  

AFAIK, there are only two characters who were killed off because the actors wanted to leave.

I don't know the reasons for all the departures, but by the time they killed Matthew, they'd also killed Lavinia, William, Vera, Archie, Major Bryant, Lt. Courtenay, Kemal Pamuk, and Sybil. Too much death. Even if you take out the characters no one really cares about, you're still left with four major deaths. Too many. Too shoddy. 

My dd wanted me to watch Downton Abbey with her so how could I decline.  I enjoyed the 1st season, but by the end of the second season it just left me feeling antsy and nervous. 

I loved the first season, but got bored about halfway through the second season and gave up. You can add me to the list of people who don't like the show.

If they hadn't killed off those actors then the actors playing their spouses would have also been out of a job. How would they explain Branson being there but not Sybil? How would they explain Mathew leaving in the middle of everything that was going on at the time, particularly when Dan Stevens said he was never never never never coming back?

Sometimes one can explain things and sometimes one cannot.

I understood needing to kill off the characters.  I even accepted the loss of Sybil, in particular because it showed other characters dealing with the situation.

What lost me with Matthew was the lack of respect for the audience I perceived in how they chose to do away with him.  For goodness sake, they had 30 min of hunting in the highlands with rifles everywhere.  I think it would have been much more in character for him to have been trying to stop a suicide by Rose or the middle daughter's editor boyfriend.  I just thought the whole thing was ham handed and disrespectful.

I also am frustrated by the choice of how swiftly to move through the years in Downton Abbey.  Season 1 runs April 1912 - August 1914.  Season 2 covers all of WWI and at least a year or two after the war.