Menu

If I like ... (British damas)

Haiku

There was a recent thread about this, "quiet and slow" movies.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/521618-i-want-to-watch-some-quiet-slow-movies-any-suggestions/

Here's a list of Top 30  Costume Dramas (ignore DA as #1.  I agree with you.)

http://enchantedserenityperiodfilms.blogspot.com/p/top-30-dramas.html

Or the same blog's Top 150.

http://enchantedserenityperiodfilms.blogspot.com/p/top-150.html

Love Wives & Daughters, and Cranford (same author, E Gaskell, as North & South).

Also think of your favorite British author (Dickens, Austen, Bronte, G Elliot) . . . and know that there is likely a movie adaption to go with it!

Another good source is Masterpiece on PBS.

There are almost too many to watch!  But it's fun to try!

There are so many--I would check IMDB (Internet Movie Database).  They list everything--theatrical releases, PBS, BBC, tv miniseries, etc.  Search their database for the names of any classic British novels you can think of.  That's what I do.  :)

If you have Amazon Prime, check out London Hospital

Also…Cranford was a favorite

Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth

Call the Midwife

Wives and Daughters

I liked the first season of The Grand

Mr. Selfridge and there was another Masterpiece Theater around the same time about a store at the turn of the 20th century, I need to Google the name.

Let's see...

Far from the Madding Crowd (the one with Nathaniel Parker)

Our Mutual Friend (with Anna Friel & Timothy Spalding)

The Way We Live Now (with David Suchet as the bad guy)

Martin Chuzzlewit (1994 version)

Most of these may be hard to find on Netflix or Amazon since they are more than 10yrs old, but if you can find them, they are wonderful.

Do you only want period dramas from England?

Broadchurch is a great movie/series... but it's pretty intense.

Yes it is, and due to the sad story line, which is revealed pretty soon into the series, I didn't think I would like it, but I did. After going through the entire season, I had to take a break from watching anything else.

Did you know there will be a US version soon? It's called Gracepoint. I can't imagine liking Ellie or Beth as much as in this version.

(YT link removed)

I liked hearing David Tennant's American accent, but when he says "killer" (right at the 3:00 mark), I hear his Scottish accent! DH is not happy that it seems to be the same script, but I am sure they will change the killer. There are so many possibilities!

And look, this says DT will return for season 2 of Broadchurch.

Yes it is, and due to the sad story line, which is revealed pretty soon into the series, I didn't think I would like it, but I did. After going through the entire season, I had to take a break from watching anything else.

Did you know there will be a US version soon? It's called Gracepoint. I can't imagine liking Ellie or Beth as much as in this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IWvbbZPZc

I liked hearing David Tennant's American accent, but when he says "killer" (right at the 3:00 mark), I hear his Scottish accent! DH is not happy that it seems to be the same script, but I am sure they will change the killer. There are so many possibilities!

Yes, I heard...i was not amused.    I probably wont' be watching.

Call the Midwife

Mr. Selfridge (though Jeremy Piven is a horrible actor, IMO--the rest are awesome!)

Upstairs Downstairs

Mr Selfridge looks like my kind of show, but I couldn't get past Piven and quit after the pilot. Too bad he's not a minor character instead of the title role.

Please, not Downton Abbey. I gave up after they started killing everyone off.

You lasted longer than I did! To me it felt more like a soap opera than a drama, so I gave up pretty quickly.

I love all of the George Elliot inspired movies and mini-series that I've seen.

The Bletchley Circle is very well done, but pretty disturbing. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.

You lasted longer than I did! To me it felt more like a soap opera than a drama, so I gave up pretty quickly.

I love all of the George Elliot inspired movies and mini-series that I've seen.

The Bletchley Circle is very well done, but pretty disturbing. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.

It is a soap opera: a drama following a certain group of people!

I don't get this at all. Why not just show Broadchurch? Why does it HAVE to be Americanized? I already watched Broachchurch and I thought it was excellent. I don't think I will be watching Gracepoint because I ALREADY WATCHED IT. 

How many possible audience members will be lost because they already watched the show?

If you like dramas, I strongly recommend checking Korean dramas of all things :drool5: !

You can watch them free on this site:

http://www.viki.com/#

My favorites so far are The Master's Sun, Lie to Me, and the new Korean version of Fated to Love You, City Hall, and Scent of a Woman.

I will caution you that some of them are maddening in their 1950's like portrayal of women but the ones above and many of the newer ones are not like that.

I will also caution you that they are very addictive! You can also see these on Dramafever.com and youtube.

I don't get this at all. Why not just show Broadchurch? Why does it HAVE to be Americanized? I already watched Broachchurch and I thought it was excellent. I don't think I will be watching Gracepoint because I ALREADY WATCHED IT. 

How many possible audience members will be lost because they already watched the show?

Yep. This. DH refuses to watch it already. I still think they'll likely change who the murderer was, but then again..."they" must think we Americans are stupid and can't watch British shows. I mean, really, who here in the US likes Sherlock or Doctor Who. <insert sarcasm>

Some of the actors decided not to continue their contracts, they then suffered horrific deaths. I don't really blame the show for killing them off when they decided not to continue. It probably would have been easier if the actors had not quit after their characters were married. *L

If you're going to write a multi-season show, you have to be flexible and have some foresight that things may need to change up as actors come and go. IMO, killing off people who leave shows a lack of imagination, and it doesn't help you retain viewers. I know tons of people who quit Downton because of it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

If I like British dramas such as North and South and Great Expectations, what else will I like?

Please, not Downton Abbey. I gave up after they started killing everyone off.

What else is out there for me?

Foyle's War (detective series set in WWII)

The Paradise (similar to Mr. Selfridge, but without the annoying Mr. Selfridge)

The Buccaneers (older miniseries of an Edith Wharton novel, available on Netflix)

If you're going to write a multi-season show, you have to be flexible and have some foresight that things may need to change up as actors come and go. IMO, killing off people who leave shows a lack of imagination, and it doesn't help you retain viewers. I know tons of people who quit Downton because of it.

If they hadn't killed off those actors then the actors playing their spouses would have also been out of a job. How would they explain Branson being there but not Sybil? How would they explain Mathew leaving in the middle of everything that was going on at the time, particularly when Dan Stevens said he was never never never never coming back?

Sometimes one can explain things and sometimes one cannot.

Example: Henry Blake on M*A*S*H. (Warning: there's some language in that clip!)

Sniff, sniff. 

ETA: I get it that it was a show about war, and death was - is - a fact of war. I just loved him. 

But M*A*S*H is neither a drama nor a British show. As you were. 

Call the Midwife

Mr. Selfridge (though Jeremy Piven is a horrible actor, IMO--the rest are awesome!)

Upstairs Downstairs

Upstairs, Downstairs is amazing. I've watched it at least twice through (10+ years apart). Like Downton Abbey but far, far better (sorry! :) ).

ETA: just went back & skimmed the other replies -- we LOVE Foyle, and Korean dramas!

If they hadn't killed off those actors then the actors playing their spouses would have also been out of a job. How would they explain Branson being there but not Sybil? How would they explain Mathew leaving in the middle of everything that was going on at the time, particularly when Dan Stevens said he was never never never never coming back?

Sometimes one can explain things and sometimes one cannot.

Well, IMO, that's the difference between good storytelling and poor. A good, imaginative writer could pull it off. Of course, maybe they could have gotten away with killing Matthew if they hadn't already killed the others. You can't just keep killing people off. Then you're Walking Dead (a show I completely fail to see the point of, btw).

Well, IMO, that's the difference between good storytelling and poor. A good, imaginative writer could pull it off. Of course, maybe they could have gotten away with killing Matthew if they hadn't already killed the others. You can't just keep killing people off. Then you're Walking Dead (a show I completely fail to see the point of, btw).

Maybe the Brits just like killing people off. :laugh:   Look at MI-5 (spooks.)  Not many of the characters survived the full series.  Only a couple left the show in a non-violent way. 

NO!!!! That just looks wrong! The woman who played Beth was so incredible, as well as the detective.  And Having DT play the same part but American?And then everyone else different?  And will the killer be the same? I don't like it. It would be so hard to watch it all over again and comparing the performances, plus I can already tell they changed the filming.  The camara work is different, the house and office looked big, like American TV big.  The BBC version kept it so real. The camara work at the houses and beach made it seem so much more intense.  Blah.  

But I can't wait till season 2 of Broadchurch.  

NO!!!! That just looks wrong! The woman who played Beth was so incredible, as well as the detective.  And Having DT play the same part but American?And then everyone else different?  And will the killer be the same? I don't like it. It would be so hard to watch it all over again and comparing the performances, plus I can already tell they changed the filming.  The camara work is different, the house and office looked big, like American TV big.  The BBC version kept it so real. The camara work at the houses and beach made it seem so much more intense.  Blah.  

But I can't wait till season 2 of Broadchurch.  

:iagree:

It's been a very long time since an actress has impressed me. Jodie Whittaker (who played Beth) is a brilliant actor! 

AFAIK, there are only two characters who were killed off because the actors wanted to leave. Another main character was written off the show when she decided not to stay, and they didn't kill her. However, her story line allowed for her character to go without dying. I have no idea how they would have written Sybil and Matthew off any other way. I suppose they could have replaced them with different actors.