Menu

How many times is the charm re phonics?

I don't know if it's me, dd, or the curriculum, but we just can't seem to find the right fit! We tried HOP, click n kids (which was good, but I can't JUST use it), Sonlight, and Winterpromise. I guess I want something that's easy for me, but not boring for her. How many did any of you go through before you found the right one?

Thanks!

My older 2 kids did GREAT with "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" followed by K12 phonics.

My third... is a different story.

We've gone through a few different programs. Her best fit is "The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading" and "Explode the Code" workbooks.

Sometimes it just takes a while to find what clicks- sometimes it just takes a while for them to be ready.

for my last 2 students we did Abeka half-way through, then Phonics pathways about 2/3 through...I liked pathways because it was all in one place, this was my third round of Abeka and I just couldn't take keeping track of all the different parts...but I noticed with pathways that the kids were bored. I just switched to heasprout phonics, which is on the computer- and they love it. I had my doubts because they make you start at the beginning, which is too easy for them, but they still love it and ask to do it. I think 3rd time is the charm.

we have

ds8- abeka, phonics pathways, headsprout

bonus student 8 with auditory processing disorder- abeka, pathways, headsprout phonics

dd6- phonics pathways, headsprout phonics.

for my last 2 students we did Abeka half-way through, then Phonics pathways about 2/3 through...I liked pathways because it was all in one place, this was my third round of Abeka and I just couldn't take keeping track of all the different parts...but I noticed with pathways that the kids were bored. I just switched to heasprout phonics, which is on the computer- and they love it. I had my doubts because they make you start at the beginning, which is too easy for them, but they still love it and ask to do it. I think 3rd time is the charm.

we have

ds8- abeka, phonics pathways, headsprout

bonus student 8 with auditory processing disorder- abeka, pathways, headsprout phonics

dd6- phonics pathways, headsprout phonics.

Jen:

Did you supplement headsprout with something? I was thinking of using it also, my dd loves computer stuff. Maybe Explode the Code?

Thanks

I stressed out about this so much w/ #1. I bought 100 Easy Lessons, looked at it, returned it. I checked something out of the library--can't remember. We loved it, but it was expensive, & after the first few lessons, it fizzled.

Finally? I prayed before I went into 1/2 Price. They never had any phonics stuff (& I was always looking). They had a copy of Alphaphonics on the shelf. That was it. So I bought it & have now worked through it w/ 2 dc.

Not to say it's perfect by any means. I mean, I like it fine, but let's face it. It's phonics. Phonics isn't history, lol. It's not great fun. I'd guess that it's either a good program or the program doesn't matter as much as we think it does or I've been lucky. How about that for some deep insight? LOL

GL!

Tammi,

we just started Headsprout phonics last week- so I haven't used it long enough to see if it needs supplementing, but it looks very complete to me. I like that the later lessons teach comprehension too.

I used explode the code last year. I am thinking I am going to go into Growing with grammar this year- as soon as my new readers can handle it. My 8 yr. old son is reading just past a 1st grade level, he might not even need the headsprout, I was just worried about holes in his learning and he needs help with comprehension. My bonus student is another story since he had an apd. My 6 year old hasn't even gone half way through pathway phonics and she is almost reading as well as my son...I think she has taught herself to read. She does have holes in special sounds, so I know headsprouts will be good for her.

they are begging to do headsprouts and are getting kind of competitive about putting stickers on their progress map. It seems to be a good program, it teaches the sounds in a different order than I am used to, but that is good, it may keep my son from getting bored.