Menu

Amelia Peabody

Seasider

If you find a film, PM me immediately. I came upon the series because of forum recommendations and was delighted. Have you worked through the entire series? If not, you are in for a treat. Unfortunately, the author died fairly recently - she was in her eighties.

I am just in the middle of the first one and enjoying it very much! It's so fun to know that there are, what, 18? to read after this one.

As I was visualizing the characters I wondered if there'd been films made, I'd love to see what actors were chosen to portray each.

I am just in the middle of the first one and enjoying it very much! It's so fun to know that there are, what, 18? to read after this one.

As I was visualizing the characters I wondered if there'd been films made, I'd love to see what actors were chosen to portray each.

Recorded Books has most of the books on audio. Those read by Barbara Rosenblat are fantastic. She does all characters in different voices and after you have listened to one book, you always know who is "speaking." These audiobooks have made my long commute a little more fun.

Those books are hilarious and swashbuckling good fun, you are in for a treat.

The author writes books under 2 other pseudonyms, but the Emerson-Peabody ones are my favorites.

I always thought Rachel Weisz in The Mummy had a dash of Amelia Peabody in her.

No, no movie although I read at one point that it had been optioned by some studio.  There was lots of speculation about who would play Emerson.   I was kind of hoping for Johnny Depp.  Anyways, they are my FAVORITE read of all time.  Just love them.  Was terrible sad to hear that Elizabeth Peters died.  Apparently her estate has hired a ghost writer to finish the book she had not yet completed.  Makes me sad to think there will be no new stories about the family.  ENJOY - there is nothing like reading something wonderful for the first time!!

No, no movie although I read at one point that it had been optioned by some studio.  There was lots of speculation about who would play Emerson.   I was kind of hoping for Johnny Depp. 

Hmm. Not Johnny Depp (though he could play Someone Else the OP has not met yet if she has just read the first book), Emerson is supposed to be a big guy, often loud and stormy, with an authoritative presence. Depp doesn't suit, in my opinion. Can't think of an alternative, though.

Amelia Peabody is one of my very favorites. Now I want to start from the beginning again!

Hmm. Not Johnny Depp (though he could play Someone Else the OP has not met yet if she has just read the first book), Emerson is supposed to be a big guy, often loud and stormy, with an authoritative presence. Depp doesn't suit, in my opinion. Can't think of an alternative, though.

Amelia Peabody is one of my very favorites. Now I want to start from the beginning again!

It would have to be someone with a cleft in his chin and sapphirine blue eyes ... :)

I've seen Timothy Dalton recommended. Not sure how I feel about that. Maybe Clive Owen?

I keep thinking of bygone American actor Pernell Roberts. Seems like he could've well pulled off the look of both a younger and older Emerson. Wonder if he could have mustered up a good enough accent.

In some ways I think it's nice to *not* have some actor already linked up with the role. That way I can imagine all the characters in my own way.