Menu

EiW users

kiwik

I have only just realised that this is not IEW. I have looked at the website and showed ds7 a couple of the sample videos and he liked them.

Ds attends school in NZ and is performing above standard in maths and reading and below in writing. He simply needs more incremental instruction than some - also he is the youngest in his year so some of the others have had 11 months more schooling. I have tried daily six traits writing and we have nearly finished WWE1 (i would like to keep going with WWE but i need to get him up to speed at school as well). I thought perhaps that having someone else lecture to both of us and both of us doing the exercises might may it easier for him.

Can anyone tell me of their experiences with this programme. Thanks in advance.

My dd 11 is really enjoying the English program. The lessons are explained well. And the worksheets are not overwhelming. Sometimes depending on the day's writing requirement, I get her to do 2-3 lessons. Coming from CLE 5 she is happy to do that.

I'm sure your son will like it. :-D

I only have experience with levels 7-10, not the younger levels, but it's worked very well here. I have a review from when I first started using it on my blog. It's really helped my kids (and the sound quality is better now than it was that first year).

Thanks, I read your reveiw. I think I will get Level 2.

ShinyHappyPeople can you give me an update when you start?

My older two are using Grade 7 and doing well for the first time ever. Turning out REAL coherant pargraphs!!! I could cry. I'm looking at the younger levels for my younger kids.

I am so glad to see the positive responses. Composition is the only thing for ds's folders for next year that I haven't ordered. I keep saying we are going to use EIW but haven't quite made it to the purchase button. Y'all are certainly boosting my confidence in this decision. :)

Thx-

Mandy

I only have experience with levels 7-10, not the younger levels, but it's worked very well here. I have a review from when I first started using it on my blog. It's really helped my kids (and the sound quality is better now than it was that first year).

When did they fix the sound? I ordered it in the fall and we have to turn the volume way up. Wondering if we have the original or fixed one?

Weren't you going to use it a year ago? Or was it someone else using the same name?

Yeah, and then I got something else. This curriculum has been calling my name for a long time.  I figured I needed to finally go ahead and buy it just to shut it up :)

I'll post a review when my DD's been using it a bit.  I bought Level 4 for her. 

I am so glad to see the positive responses. Composition is the only thing for ds's folders for next year that I haven't ordered. I keep saying we are going to use EIW but haven't quite made it to the purchase button. Y'all are certainly boosting my confidence in this decision. :)

Thx-

Mandy

They have a 60 day (?) return policy, so you could always get it, watch the lessons and see if it makes sense for your kids.

When did they fix the sound? I ordered it in the fall and we have to turn the volume way up. Wondering if we have the original or fixed one?

I guess you'd have to ask. We haven't had trouble with levels 8-10. The sound in 7 was almost like a feedback issue, not a volume issue.

I find our TV is really weird about volume on various DVD's. We have one Math-U-See video that we have to turn up to 100 (our highest volume setting), and I'd still like it just a tad louder. And volume changes channel to channel--on some channels 20 is plenty loud, and on some 60 is soft. I really don't know why it's like that, but do find it annoying at times!

We're using 6 this year, but haven't gotten to the writing portion, so I can't tell you how it will work. We're only using it a couple times a week because we're also using W&R. I like what I see coming up, and my son has liked the lessons so far, but they're just grammar now, and he's good at grammar. I look forward to seeing how the paragraph writing goes!

We haven't had any issue with volume on the DVD, but the sound isn't the greatest quality either. There is a bit of static. It sounds low budget. That said, they are selling this at $50/year (it was $40), compared to other DVD curricula that sell for at least 3 times as much for a year. So I can understand that they didn't use the most expensive sound equipment to produce it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did it. I ordered Level 3. I hope if we work through that he will get a bit more confident. I still want to do WWE2 but I can do it slowly. I just want to do a little dictation, summarisation and maybe copywork.

Also since it is the writing component I am interested in I think we will mix the grammar and writing a bit.

Of course it will take a while for the discs to get here.

We used EIW 2 this past year with my 2nd grader after finishing 1/2 of WWE2. He liked it very well! Enough for him to ask to use it for 3rd grade! We only used EIW 2 for two days of the week....... I'm thinking we might do the same this year, as well as finishing the last 1/2 of WWE2.

Anyone using for the lower levels, though?

I have/ do. We like it well enough. We went through Level 1 in 6 months and I just ordered Level 2. My kids are Grade 1&2 and have an easy enough time with it.

I thought the volume issue was me...didn't think it was the recording. We always have to turn it right up too.

This year is a "shoring up the foundation" year for almost-11 yo DD, so I've been searching for something that remediates without being babyish.  I received the Level 4 discs the other day, and I've started watching them.  It totally breaks things down into bite-size chunks, and I think it's going to work well for us.   

My 2nd grader wasn't even ready for the grade 1 level. :tongue_smilie:

I noticed that myself, too. Sons 3 and 4 are barely ready for grade 1. DD? No way!

My 2nd grader wasn't even ready for the grade 1 level. :tongue_smilie:

Are you sure? I used Level 1 for my kids ages 6&7 and they did fine. When they first started they could barely write a sentance. They went through Level 1 in 6 months by doing one lesson a day. Each lesson was very short...only 10-15 minutes. Everything is very broken down and progress is incremental. My kids were way behind their year level with writing when we started and had no issues doing it.

We are just about to start Level 2. I looked through it and I know my kids will be able to handle it. They do do paragraphs in the 1st level but its age appropriate. They write an opening sentence, 2-3 detail sentences and a closing sentence. Its at the end and since the level starts with forming letters...it just slowly works up from there.

I really can't imagine most 2nd graders having trouble with it. My kids could barely write a sentence when we started and even they were able to write a decent 4 sentence ' paragraph' by the end.

Believe me...if it was even an ounce of difficult my kids would have refused to do it....they hate writing but didn't mind this as its short, to the point and builds slowly.

Are you sure? I used Level 1 for my kids ages 6&7 and they did fine. When they first started they could barely write a sentance. They went through Level 1 in 6 months by doing one lesson a day. Each lesson was very short...only 10-15 minutes. Everything is very broken down and progress is incremental. My kids were way behind their year level with writing when we started and had no issues doing it.

The problem is that my 2nd grader is still working on reading fluently, so writing is something he's just not ready for. He can't write a sentence beyond "I like cats."

My K'er could probably do level 1 with ease, but the 2nd grader is behind in reading and writing. He's making progress, and he will catch up, but LA in general is hard for him. Definitely a late bloomer in that area.

I'll check it out again though. My thought was to get reading solid this year (with some spelling and basic copying) and start writing next year. I could probably use the grade 2 level with both younger kids next year (they'd be grades 1 and 3). My youngest has already passed the 2nd grader in both reading and writing ability, so combining them works somewhat.

Ok, I looked at level 1 again. I think my 2nd grader could do that, but they have a note in there to start grade 1 after basic phonics for spelling is complete. That's what we're working on now. So I think that's why I didn't get level 1 for him. The early lessons do look like something he could do though, and he could read those sentences.

Well it arrived in a week so we have more time than i thought. I decided to just start at lesson 1 and go from there. So far so good. I'm not entirely sure that ds realised that the purpose of writing was to communicate. Or that punctuation was to make things easier for the reader.

Well it arrived in a week so we have more time than i thought. I decided to just start at lesson 1 and go from there. So far so good. I'm not entirely sure that ds realised that the purpose of writing was to communicate. Or that punctuation was to make things easier for the reader.

I always think it's funny when these seemingly obvious connections escape my kids and am glad for programs that point out the things that I never think to say! I remember when my dd used Essentials in Writing 8, and said to me, "I never knew why prepositional phrases were important before." She had spent 2 years using Easy Grammar, which teaches prepositions first...but never knew why she'd want to use one!  

It depends how much grammar you want. It doesn't cover diagramming but it covers most stuff. Say more than most schools but not quite as much as some people on these boards. You can add diagramming in later if you want. There was a thread on diagramming resources the other day that had a link to a free workbook.