Menu

Job application question re: work history (how old is too old)

Tap

I have worked for the same company for 17 years, 15 of them in the pharmacy.  

I am applying for a basic office position/data entry at a University. Relatively similar skill set, but a totally different environment.  

Before my current company I had a few jobs lasting an average of 3 years each. Deli staff/bookkeeper at one, assistant in a home healthcare home for the other.  Do I put information  that is 17+ years old on my resume, or do I just include the most current?  It will be a pain to track down the dates of hire and addresses for them, so I have incentive to not bother. 

The online application also asks if I have ever worked at institution of higher learning.  I was the assistant to the art director when I was in community college as work study.  Do I include that?

Does it make a difference that the HR director and I were talking  and he said he would hire me if I ever decided to apply for job with the university?  (He knows I have been looking for a career change).  I am hoping that means I don't have to sell myself so hard. LOL

I wouldn't go back farther than your current employment, since you've been there so long. However, if the application asks if you've "ever" worked for an institution of higher learning,I would list the work study. It's probably overkill and not something they really care about, but I used to be a background investigator for security clearances, so my default is "ever" means "ever," and if something else was meant, they'd have said so our they should have said so. (The forms we used asked about some things for the last 3 years, some for the last 7, some for 10, and others for ever.) If a time isn't specified, then 7 or 10 years, or going back to college graduation if it wasn't that long ago, is sufficient, but if they put a time frame on it,I go with what they say. It shows attention to detail if nothing else. I'd put estimated dates, though, and indicate they were estimated, rather than trying to get exact dates for that long ago.

And I would act like the HR director never said that. You need to be the most qualified applicant, or close enough, because otherwise they could be forced to hire someone else, especially if they take federal funding or if it looks like you're not taking it seriously and assuming you have the job because you're friends.

I wouldn't go back farther than your current employment, since you've been there so long. However, if the application asks if you've "ever" worked for an institution of higher learning,I would list the work study. It's probably overkill and not something they really care about, but I used to be a background investigator for security clearances, so my default is "ever" means "ever," and if something else was meant, they'd have said so our they should have said so. (The forms we used asked about some things for the last 3 years, some for the last 7, some for 10, and others for ever.) If a time isn't specified, then 7 or 10 years, or going back to college graduation if it wasn't that long ago, is sufficient, but if they put a time frame on it,I go with what they say. It shows attention to detail if nothing else. I'd put estimated dates, though, and indicate they were estimated, rather than trying to get exact dates for that long ago.

And I would act like the HR director never said that. You need to be the most qualified applicant, or close enough, because otherwise they could be forced to hire someone else, especially if they take federal funding or if it looks like you're not taking it seriously and assuming you have the job because you're friends.

Thanks that helps!   I reviewed the application and there is no time frame specified.  I need to attach a resume also, so would I just put the same in formation on that?

I know the HR Director in a professional capacity.  I volunteer and he knows me from there. His urging to apply for a job, is knowing my customer service and problem solving skills, not just friends (although I would consider him a casual friend too). 

Thanks that helps!   I reviewed the application and there is no time frame specified.  I need to attach a resume also, so would I just put the same in formation on that?

I know the HR Director in a professional capacity.  I volunteer and he knows me from there. His urging to apply for a job, is knowing my customer service and problem solving skills, not just friends (although I would consider him a casual friend too). 

Yeah, I think if I had a resume, I'd probably go back 10-15 years on employment history if I'd been at each place for a long time (so not too many employers to list). Since your current goes back that far, I'd list just that and be done with it. I wouldn't list the work study on the resume, just on the application where they ask.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you'd get the job _just_ because of a friendship. What I meant was that if you don't promote yourself enough to be sure to be the best qualified, the HR director may not have a choice but to hire whoever is best qualified, and you want to go to whatever lengths are required to make certain you don't give the impression that you expect to be hired no matter who else applies. It certainly does help that you know him in a professional capacity and that he's familiar with your work.

Good luck with the application! :)

I would list the last three jobs regardless of how long you have been at the current one. You don't have to have accurate dates. Alternatively list both your positions with your current employer and the one before. If you have to fill out a form it will probably ask for your last 3 employers.

This is a good question. I would have never thought about it. I plan to get a job in a year if all goes well with ds, but I haven't worked in 13 years. My resume goes back to 1986 which is when I graduated high school. I held various positions at a university over the course of 5 years. Does it look bad to list all jobs held as an adult? Wouldn't you have to explain where you were during job gaps, like between high school and the most current job? That's about a 10 year gap where I held some other smaller jobs.

Agreed. My mom has had a couple of cases, at a University, where she had someone in mind she wanted to hire but was unable to because of the mix of resumes they actually got when they advertised the job.  (And was disgusted when the person actually hired in one case ended up not really being competent in the job. She did "enough to get by" but was not the help my mom needed to be able to get work off of her plate without having to check up all the time.

Yeah, I think if I had a resume, I'd probably go back 10-15 years on employment history if I'd been at each place for a long time (so not too many employers to list). Since your current goes back that far, I'd list just that and be done with it. I wouldn't list the work study on the resume, just on the application where they ask.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you'd get the job _just_ because of a friendship. What I meant was that if you don't promote yourself enough to be sure to be the best qualified, the HR director may not have a choice but to hire whoever is best qualified, and you want to go to whatever lengths are required to make certain you don't give the impression that you expect to be hired no matter who else applies. It certainly does help that you know him in a professional capacity and that he's familiar with your work.

Good luck with the application! :)

Seriously, no offence taken.  I was just clarifying that it was more than just a casual utterance..  I am just thinking that since he knows my current work level, maybe he won't need to see all the old little jobs to.  I saw him a few days ago and told me to call him if was going to up at the University with my son (part of the conversation we were having) so I think I may just call and ask him directly.  That way I can find out if they already have someone picked out for the job, (my company posts jobs and will interview, even if the job is already promised to someone just to fill legal obligations) or if it is worth applying for. 

Thanks for you perspective and luck!.  I need all the help I can get! it feels really weird to be potentially starting over in an entry level position at 40+years.  

I had heard that you should go all the way back, just giving less detail about the older jobs - that leaving gaps, even between college and the current job, implied you were hiding something.  Is this no longer true?

Well, in this case I would mention the 15 years in current position and perhaps the position immediately before that if there is one. I would not go back farther because of at least two reasons: 1. It gives a clue to age which could or not be a criterion, 2. Fifteen years in one job testifies to steadfastness, progression of career and stability. This should suffice in convinving them Tap is extremely reliable and no quitter. IF they ask during the interview if Tap has other experience and she does, she can mention it then.

I have just spent some time updating my SO's resume and all the articles I read said not to go back more than 10 years. Since he has been with the same company 14 years, that is the only one we listed.  It still takes almost a full page to describe his achievements at that job though, so the resume is still 1 1/2 pages.  He is in tech so anything tech related that far back is not relevant anyway.

I called and talked to the HR connection I have.  He actually brought up some skills from my old jobs that pertained to the current one, that I would have never thought of!  He wanted it all listed back to when I was in high school!  LOL  I worked on my resume and cover letter, but didn't get it finished in time so I couldn't submit it for this job, but will try again in the future.  His advice was incredible and he even offered to give me some guidance on my resume if I sent him a draft.  :0)   

Thanks for helping to encourage me to make that call and get the ball rolling.  I really need to start a new path, but I think I needed a bit of a budge to get started.  

:0)