Menu

Anybody use SOTW with An Island Story?

sagira

I'm thinking of combining SOTW with An Island Story by H.E. Marshall. I know next year, with SOTW being The Ancients (first year), we will either read one chapter of An Island Story or none at all. However, has anybody used SOTW 2 with An Island Story? Then for third year I was going to try This Country of Ours combined with An Island Story to see both perspectives of American History. Then in fourth continue with SOTW 3.

Does this sound right?

Has anybody used An Island Story? This Country of Ours?

Thanks for any insight you can provide :)

using a variety of books for my 10yos in history this term. (For some reason we tend to change to new curriculum / schedules mid-year instead of beginning of the year.) For ds#2's history readings I've decided to take a multi-topic approach. We have, as a family, completed SOTW 1-4 so ds has a good outline to plug the various histories into. Our week looks like this:

M---NZ History (Frontier of Dreams) Read 4-6 pages with Mom

T---Empire History (Our Island Story) Read or listen to 2 chapters & narrate back to Mom.

W---US History (This Country of Ours) Read or listen to 1 chapter & narrate back to Mom.

TH---World History (SOTW 1) Listen to 1 chapter & narrate back to Mom. Do map page from AG.

F---Literature (Tales from Shakespeare) Listen to 1 tale & narrate back to Mom.

I plan for ds#2 to put important info on his timeline after narrating, but I still need to print out his timeline. I've made a timeline to put in clear pages that has different stripes for the different areas (i.e. America, Europe, Middle East, Oceania, etc.). This should tie together the different histories for him. I thought ds may get confused by 4 different histories, but after 5 weeks I see that it is just the approach we need at this time. I was lucky to find OIS & SOTW on cd & was able to download TCOO & TFS readings, so ds can work more independently. He narrates back the readings with enthusiasm.

JMHO,

Thank you for the words, the lists, the resources and the schedules. It sounds like the chapters are really short and I don't need to take an extra year just covering This Country of Ours and An Island Story. I could possibly combine it with SOTW 3 and just school a bit extra in the Summer if necessary.

:w00t:

Laura in China has spreadsheets on her website correlating SOTW 2 and 3 with OIS (there is very little overlap with SOTW 1). The link is in her sig. She saved me the bother of doing it myself.

I am working on a schedule combining SOTW 3, History of US, Our Island Story, and This Country of Ours, along with lit. and geography. I'll also include the first 4 chapters of SOTW 4 and the vol. of US that includes the Civil War (our goal is to finish history to right after the Civil War this year). It may take me another couple of weeks, and I may just do 9 weeks at a time, but I'll be happy to share. I'll post it on my blog when it is done, and let everyone here know. I've decided I can't justify dishing out the money to continue TOG when our current unit is finished. The kids go to the Master's Academy of Fine Arts once a week and do lots of hands on stuff there, and by the time I combine the cost of the two programs (TOG and MAFA) I would be spending WAY to much money on history, lit, and arts (close to $3000 for all 3 kids, and that includes getting about 75% of the TOG books at the library!). And with a 1 year old, I am having a hard time getting the full benefit out of TOG.

I am doing just what you propose for dc 11, 13:

Here are my Middle Ages book lists:

SOTW 2 text & audio

KF Encyclopedia

Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia

Our Island Story

Famous Men of Middle Ages

Fifty Famous Stories Retold

WTM Middle Ages fiction book lists for logic stage

Netflix docs & movies for Middle Ages (posted here last month)

Laura in China has spreadsheets on her website correlating SOTW 2 and 3 with OIS (there is very little overlap with SOTW 1). The link is in her sig. She saved me the bother of doing it myself.

Just go to my blog, and check out the links in the right hand bar.

Laura

• 4 weeks later...

I've read both "Our Island Story" and "This Country of Ours" (on my own, not with my child).

And while I find H.E. Marshall's writing style lively, I also found these books to be extremely reactionary (and at times racist), and possessed of a nationalist-fantasy mentality that simply would not be compatible with our educational values.

The insults aimed at Mormons, Native Americans, and African Americans (who am I leaving out?) in "This Country of Ours" are pretty hard to take.

Some might find her rampant hate-mongering and obviously prejudiced viewpoint a good spark for discussion, but I wouldn't want to fight this degree of bias (especially when it is so ugly) in my teaching materials.

Bill

I've read both "Our Island Story" and "This Country of Ours" (on my own, not with my child).

And while I find H.E. Marshall's writing style lively, I also found these books to be extremely reactionary (and at times racist), and possessed of a nationalist-fantasy mentality that simply would not be compatible with our educational values.

The insults aimed at Mormons, Native Americans, and African Americans (who am I leaving out?) in "This Country of Ours" are pretty hard to take.

Some might find her rampant hate-mongering and obviously prejudiced viewpoint a good spark for discussion, but I wouldn't want to fight this degree of bias (especially when it is so ugly) in my teaching materials.

Bill

Can you give any specifics regarding hate-mongering? I was considering looking at "This Country of Ours" but I'd rather add things to a dull, facts-only text than have to counter things in a text, but I am okay with a different view of a particular historical event.

Can you give any specifics regarding hate-mongering? I was considering looking at "This Country of Ours" but I'd rather add things to a dull, facts-only text than have to counter things in a text, but I am okay with a different view of a particular historical event.

This is from memory, as they were library books.

The worst things I remember were directed at Mormons (I'm not Mormon). Marshall described the early Mormons as "thieves" who stole horses and cattle, along with other unpleasant accusations and slurs aimed at Joseph Smith. One may or may not agree with Mormonism, but this book just gets ugly.

Native Americans are almost alway portrayed as untrustworthy savages who are ready to heartlessly betray the good white-folk who have placed trust in the Indians.

Slavery, whose worst excesses are mildly scolded, is portrayed as a condition many blacks actually enjoyed and benefited from. And the few times blacks speak (maybe it is only once) it is in heavy "dialect".

I was very disappointed by this book (which I'd had high hopes for) but the author's historical judgement are too far afield for my taste.

Shame, because she does write in an "engaging" fashion. But be forewarned that her politics are of another time.

Bill