Menu

reading better aloud than silently

When DD reads out loud to me, she can read quite hard materials with many mistakes (few that are 'sounding out an unknown word' mistakes) and complete comprehension - but when she reads to herself she cannot read the same level of book - she tells me she's not 'getting it'.  Same with math word problems actually.  I think I remember geodub reflecting on some reason why a child can read better out loud than silently?  but I cannot seem to find the post.  Does anyone remember this?  Geodub, do you remember?

Two things--First, when you read aloud the information is processed through the auditory pathway and she may process information better that way.  The other reason is that reading aloud forces attention to be paid to every word in sequence, which aids comprehension.

Just to pick up with what EKS is saying, our VT got on us saying it's very common when someone has had visual processing problems to switch over and rely on their auditory, even if it's also weak.  The VT wanted us to make EFFORT to get her to switch over and use visual more.  Might be something to talk through with them to see what techniques they'd suggest.

Hi LC,

As you read this, you are most likely hearing the words in your mind. Without saying them out loud.

If you come across an unknown word, you can also probably rehearse different ways to say it, and work out what is correct.

But doing this saying it out loud, uses something called 'inner speech'.

Where basically, we recall the sound of the word from memory, and then imagine it in our mind.

Though we can also use it creatively, and compose sounds with it. 

But an important thing about 'inner speech'?

Is that it is actually an acquired skill, that we learn how to use.

In the same way that our Visual equal, and the ability to Visualize and picture something in our Minds Eye?

Is also an acquired skill.

Which an infant is left to learn how to use by themselves.

Though one major problem with the development of 'inner speech'?

Is that often they don't know about inner speech?

While most infants are introduced to the idea of 'picturing something in their mind'.

So that they grow up understanding that people can 'visualize', and are aware of how they can use it.

But with 'inner speech', which we might also term as 'Minds Ear'?

This is something that is never spoken about?

Where we don't even have a language to talk about it?

So that when a child doesn't become aware of this ability and learn how to use it?

They most often have no idea that other people use this 'inner speech'?

That this ability even exists?

So that when they look at words on a page?

They don't know that when other people look at words on a page?

That they hear the words in their mind.

So that they are puzzled by how other people make sense of words on a page?

All that they know, to borrow your DD's words, is that they 'are not getting it'?

With no way to understand or explain why they don't get it?

So that remediating it, begins with making them aware of this ability to use 'inner speech'.

Yet this needs to be approached differently, with different 'ages and age groups'?

Where for example, talking about inner speech to an 8 year old, or 10 year old, or a 12 year old, or a teenager, or an adult?

Are different levels of cognition, that require different approaches.

Though I've been doing study and research into inner speech and its delayed development, for just over 6 years.  Where I'm leading international research into this.

With 97 participants in the study so far.

So that after 6 years, I'm just over half way through the project.

Which is aimed at gaining recognition and understanding of 'delayed development of inner speech'.

While I have been doing informal study and research so far.

I have a PhD Supervisor interested in supporting my turning this into formal study and research, which will be peer reviewed.

So that after 10 years, perhaps a basic understanding of the development of inner speech, will be formed?