Menu

Anyone use MCT Word Within the Word Vol 1?

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has used MCT Word within the Word Volume 1. I am wondering if this book would e good on ipad since it is available on ipad. Is it more of a book to read or are there a lot of exercises to be done in the book?

I appreciate any help.

http://www.rfwp.com/series/vocabulary-word-within-the-word-program-by-michael-clay-thompson#book-word-within-the-word-vol-1-student-new-edition

If you just get the TM, you will miss the following components:  Stem Close-up (where one of the 30 stems is presented with a list of words that use that stem and their definition.   I just realized that we always skipped it because it's only in the student book so I didn't know it was there  :glare: ), Sentences (each of the 30 stems used in a word in a sentence), the Analogies won't be doable (the TM only has the answers), and the Classic Words won't be doable (the TM only  has the answers).  So you are missing about half of the exercises if you only get the TM.  Is that worth it for half the cost?

For the few savings, it might not be worth it since you lose all resale value. The iBook is only seven dollars cheaper.

It depends on family needs. I don't mind the iBook as it's cheaper than buying a copy each for my boys and me to read at the same time. My older likes to dog ear his books so I buy him books on the premise that resale value is zero.

For the TM, my hubby conclude that it is worth the money to save me fretting over the answers. To him it is a sunk cost for any curriculum we use.

So far I've just given away all my MCT books.  I know people talk about resale value, but where are people selling it?  I feel like not enough people know about it.  And the for sale section here has not worked out for me.

Outside of this board, I haven't come across anyone who knows about it among any homeschooler I've met.  Maybe because it is basically only available through RFWP.  So you don't find it on Rainbow, etc.

How about ebay or Amazon?

I sell my obscure homeschool curriculum at a local homeschool B+M store, but not every community has those.  I agree it's not in great demand, though. 

So far I've just given away all my MCT books.  I know people talk about resale value, but where are people selling it?  I feel like not enough people know about it.  And the for sale section here has not worked out for me.

Outside of this board, I haven't come across anyone who knows about it among any homeschooler I've met.  Maybe because it is basically only available through RFWP.  So you don't find it on Rainbow, etc.

If you just get the TM, you will miss the following components: Stem Close-up (where one of the 30 stems is presented with a list of words that use that stem and their definition. I just realized that we always skipped it because it's only in the student book so I didn't know it was there :glare: ), Sentences (each of the 30 stems used in a word in a sentence), the Analogies won't be doable (the TM only has the answers), and the Classic Words won't be doable (the TM only has the answers). So you are missing about half of the exercises if you only get the TM. Is that worth it for half the cost?

Meh. That sucks! It wouldn't be worth it. So much for the brilliant plan :). I have to find someway to simplify the costs middle school is presenting. Up until now, I have been able to find virtually everything for very cheap. Even our AoPS stuff. In 6th, the boy wants Omnibus, MCT, and Lukieon. Finding Omni or MCT used is tricky. So either I find a low key job or we are going to have to finagle something.