Menu

how fast are you supposed to go through ETC

Asma_08

Quick question. My son (6.5) has been doing ETC for over a year and we are just on book 3. Is this too slow? I usually have him do 2 pages a day 4 days/wk. Also we do the 1/2 books. Do I need to speed him up now that I am adding spelling? Just curious.

Thanks

Asma

Thanks for the replies. So we are about right, I guess I have seen more than once on here k'ers doing ETC 3 and I wasn't sure if I needed to beef it up a little. We are doing SWO A right now but I think I will stop with this book until we finish the ETC series. Thats good advice.

Asma

It really depends on the child. My 7 year old is in ETC3. I only require 2 pages per day. I'm not too worried about it. He'll finish it eventually. I my start requiring 3 pages as he is getting more comfortable with writing now.

My other children chose to do much more per day and got through it much faster.

We don't do the half books.

As a mama who had a Ker in ETC 3 last year...let me just add that my ds did those first three books ORALLY. (he also used those fridge magnet letters to spell out the words when needed.) There was no way in K he could have done all of that writing, although he could handle the reading. And I'm thinking of doing some review throughout 3 before we start in on 4 this year. Last year I was all about getting through the material...since then I've realized that my ds needs a little more time to absorb the info.

finished through ETC last year and is starting 4 now as she's beginning K. I don't think the writing is impossible for all kids, it really depends on the child. FWIW, my ds made more use of the alphabet stampers than my dd did at comparable ages. . it was just a fine motor & motivation thing.

I think about 3 books a year is the "standard" pace. e.g., Get Ready, Get Set, Go in K; 1-3 in 1st; 4-6 in 2nd. . .

But, I also think that depends on the age when they start, etc. I don't expect my Ker to do three books this year (4-6) but I did buy them all and have them on the shelf. I won't be surprised if she does them all but won't demand or schedule it.

I think the pace is perfectly fine. :) The website says the books are for K-4. And while I don't think it will take 5 years, it's for those range of ages.

My 6 yo is working in ETC 3.

My 8 yo (who started this late) has 10 more pages in ETC 6.

My 6 yo does 3-4 pages a day, my 8 yo does 5 pages a day.