Menu

Audiologist or Speech-Language Pathologist??

Hunter's Moon

I have suspected for a long time that I have an Auditory Processing Disorder. I am continually asking for clarification, etc. but all of my hearing tests are perfect (both tonal and word-specific). I do have Sinus issues, and sometimes my eustachian tubes get blocked, but I can tell the difference between blocked ears and just plain not understanding. 

I have been suspected of having hearing problems since I was young. The Audiologist always just told my mother that I had Selective Hearing. 

The reason I suspect Auditory Processing: If I have to ask someone to repeat themselves multiple times and I still do not understand them, I will just smile and nod. Anywhere from minutes to hours later, it will click in my head what they said to me. This happens when I think about the context and lip movements. I also can not focus on one noise over another. For example, if on a bus with my husband, I cannot tune out the voices of others or the sounds of the bus to focus on what he is saying. 

My ENT told me I just had to accept my hearing issues and focus hard on people, while also using lips as a cue. My hearing test at the ENT came back perfectly, and he does not think I need tubes. 

I seriously have dreams of getting hearing aids and being able to hear perfectly. I know hearing aids probably would not work in my case, but I am at my wit's end. It is frustrating for me, and for all around me. 

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Audiologist who specializes in CAPD testing. Though be forewarned there is a possibility the AudD. will want you to get a full neuropsych eval to rule out issues with AD(H)D and/or working memory. That's what happened with oldest DD. NP testing is super-expensive and right now our healthcare budget goes towards youngest DD's autism therapies, so we haven't yet had oldest DD see a NP.

It has to be diagnosed by an audiologist who has the training to test for APD, because part of the testing is done in a sound proof booth. Whether a diagnosis is helpful depends on which types of APD you might have.  My youngest daughter had all four subtypes when she was 7, but by age 10, two of them were remediated. Her audiologist said the remaining two will most likely persist into adulthood, although they may become milder.  A good audiologist will give you a report that includes suggestions for remediation and/or accomodation. You may qualify for accomodations at college if you need them.

ETA: Google your city + audiologist + auditory processing disorder.  That's how I found our audiologist.

ETA2: There is software that can help with filtering. One level is for younger kids and the other is for older kids and adults.  Earobics - it's inexpensive.  There's also Fast For Word, but it has to be administered by an SLP and it's expensive.  You could try the Earobics to see if it helps and forego the testing for now.

If you do need a neuropsych eval (which the audiologist near us wants in addition to the SLP eval), you might see what you can get through your college.

And if you get a diagnosis, it could get you accommodations in classes.  Are you having trouble with lectures?  They can get the prof mic'd and get it fed to you with (I forget the name of the device) and get the sound directly into your better processing ear.  They can get you preferential seating away from air conditioners and other noises.  So yes, there are things that would actually change for you.  

Earobics does some with handle distractions, yes.  I had my dd go through it, but I don't think anything radically changed for her.  In her case her overall  processing speed is low, not just specifically the ears.  She gets worn out with sound, but I think it's the strain of filtering it out plus the sensory.  She has done OT for sensory and is just really sensitive.  But you're right, it's screwy enough that we have this conversation a lot.  If you have any old IQ testing that has been done on you, there will typically (but not *always*) be a gap between verbal and performance scores.  

I very much appreciate the replies!

I am coordinating with a nurse at my PCP's office to find an Audiologist in the area that will accept my insurance, but specifically screens for CAPD.

It looks like we found a match, assuming they accept my insurance, and it is a combined Hearing and Speech office, which I think will be my best bet.

I had never thought about my professor being mic'd. At my CC, our classes sizes tend to be <25, but I can definitely see this being helpful. Especially when I transfer to a 4-year, as classes are larger at my preferred. As in, lecture halls.

Thanks again, and I'll update when I learn more.

The audiologists and sl-ps in my area will send you straight to an audiologist specializing in APD. (Lucky us, it's actually Jack Katz in our area!) Dr. Katz developed the Buffalo model.... This is the most coherent explanation I've come across on how the Buffalo tests work, and how they figure out your subtype of APD: http://journeythroughthecortex.blogspot.com/2010/06/buffalo-model-for-diagnosing-capd.html

Interesting. I am not sure which method the audiologists here use. 

I did speak with her today, and usually, my insurance will not cover the actual apd eval. Also, they are more used to children coming for these evals, but she seemed confident she could help me with recommendations and such, even if I cannot do the eval itself.