Menu

Anyone booksharking and want to talk about it?

Papillon Mom

I just ordered the Eastern Hemisphere package and can not wait to get it! I am busy looking for other resources to add to it...netflix and other videos, music, picture books and coloring pages/flags for the second grader to join in with us, and recipes.Would love to have a forum for booksharkers to share ideas, but i paid for a one month sl forum subscription to look at resources shared there.

I've had my box for about 3 weeks; we start on August 4th.

I have History with Reading 3, with the advanced readers, LA 3, LA 2, and second grade intermediate readers. I'll be combining my second and fourth grade kids. I did not buy science or math through them -- I was put off by the inclusion of a non-secular science textbook (Real Science 4 Kids), and I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted to do for math at the time I ordered.

I've been pre-reading some of the books and considering what I might need to add or change, particularly in the way Native Americans are depicted.

On the whole, I'm happy with my curriculum choice, and am looking forward to the year. We are doing some work ahead of time on pre-Columbian America, since the program starts with Columbus. I also wish there were a bit more information in the IG about the historical facts around which some of the historical fiction is centered. For example, there is a book on Squanto in History 3, and the IG notes that some customers have complained about historical inaccuracies in the book. It would be nice if they told you what the known facts are, so you didn't have to go look it up in other resources. (The main problem I have with that particular book is the emotions/attitudes Squanto is depicted as having, which seem far-fetched to me.)

The LA looks great for my kids. Laid-back yet still covering everything I consider important at this age.

I think the schedule will be helpful for me, as I like for my homeschooling to be as routinized as possible.

I just ordered the Eastern Hemisphere package and can not wait to get it! I am busy looking for other resources to add to it...netflix and other videos, music, picture books and coloring pages/flags for the second grader to join in with us, and recipes.Would love to have a forum for booksharkers to share ideas, but i paid for a one month sl forum subscription to look at resources shared there.

I'm definitely interested in hearing about what other resources synch well with the different grade levels/packages. For the moment, let's just keep adding to this thread with any suggestions for tie-ins as we go along. I'm currently working my way through creating all of my BookShark lesson plans in my Homeschool Tracker database. Once I get all of that entered, I'm more likely to branch out and look for additional videos and resources to add in!

Can someone with the package or history package help answer a couple of questions?

-Are the maps in the Instructor Guide? It says the map keys are, but I don't see where else the maps might be. 

-If the maps are separate, would the Instructor Guide be worth buying? I already have a bunch of the books...

Thanks!

Do the bookshark levels cover the same history as sonlight cores for grade level? Was considering sonlight b+c! but would prefer the bookshark version, if I can figure out which it is and it exists!

Book Shark doesn't have levels equivalent to the B&C or the D&E levels, at present. Which I agree is a bummer! I would have considered a B&C equivalent for my kids this year, but am instead doing 3 (SL D).