Menu

Anyone booksharking and want to talk about it?

Papillon Mom

I've always been curious about Sonlight but too turned off by it's evangelical/providential leanings. I've also been scared off by all the talk of lack of retention. Also, weird conspiracy theories and wacky science, oh my...

But, my dd loves nothing and I mean nothing more than snuggling on the couch with me and a book. This is the Sonlight image. Maybe it would be perfect. Now that there is a secular version seems an obvious choice. Memoria Press is working fine, but she doesn't love it and the thought of her loving school makes me yearn to try.

Wisdom?

Ps- I really lean boxed curriculum, I'm such a square!

I've always been curious about Sonlight but too turned off by it's evangelical/providential leanings. I've also been scared off by all the talk of lack of retention. Also, weird conspiracy theories and wacky science, oh my...

But, my dd loves nothing and I mean nothing more than snuggling on the couch with me and a book. This is the Sonlight image. Maybe it would be perfect. Now that there is a secular version seems an obvious choice. Memoria Press is working fine, but she doesn't love it and the thought of her loving school makes me yearn to try.

Wisdom?

Ps- I really lean boxed curriculum, I'm such a square!

Bookshark is new for this upcoming school year, so no one has used it yet under that title. I ordered their 4th grade program and I'm excited to get it.  It was beta tested by a school district homeschool support program under the name Brightflash, so maybe someone here has used it as that? I'm not sure if the content is different or if it was strictly a name change.

We previewed it at our convention last week, and while I already have my curricula in place for next year, it was a very tempting option. Everything looked high-quality and my daughter loved the looks of it. I had to remind her that I'm not buying new stuff when what we have is working (something I have to remind myself of every day...).

We will be using BookShark and we are so excited! 

:party:

My plan is to use it until there isn't any more to use (I really hope they consider doing high school).  JB will be in 5th next school year, but we ordered the complete 4th grade package (the age range on the corner of the IG's reassures me that this will be just fine).  The 4th package really appealed to us...we didn't want to miss out on reading all those great books!  I already submitted my order to our school, but unfortunately they won't be actually ordering until probably mid to late July.  I really want it NOW! 

This year we have greatly enjoyed Beautiful Feet Early American History Primary (only 2 books left).  JB is in love with history now.  She goes on and on about how this has been the best school year ever, because of our history read-alouds.  We have both learned so much.  I'm so glad to be continuing this same "style" of learning through BookShark. 

I love the look of Bookshark. We are going with Memoria Press for Pre-K and 1st this year, but I have Bookshark in the back of my mind for future possibilities. I can't wait to hear what people think after they have used it this year.

I'm waiting for the upper levels to be released.  It may be something that I consider using next year.  I've never used Sonlight, and it was always really low on my list.  However, the secular version is really tempting to me.  It should be great for my youngest next year, and I will consider it for one of my daughters who loves to read.

I was THRILLED to see 3 levels of readers for 2nd grade, and ordered the teachers notes. It's like the HOD book lists but vocab and comprehension questions. Just what I've been looking for and I'm so excited as I wasn't sure what to do for reading next year.

But, does anyone know why they aren't doing the same for the upper grades?

Lalalalala, you didn't say anything did you? I can't heeaar you!!!!

Gah, okay I looked. And their Reading with History is making me salivate, but if I bought it with the 1st grade readers it would be over $400(!!!) Just for reading and history!!! :lol:

I wish there was a way to buy just the IG's, consumables and other unique resources, without the read alouds and the readers, all of which would be available for free at my library. Even so, I couldn't justify paying over $100 for K history...But darn it all, I WANT to.

I'm a Sonlight user and I want to mention that the IG does give you a suggested reading schedule but I've never fully run by it. I read multiple chapters I. A day because it just fits better. I mark off each thing we do and keep 4 weeks of the IG out at a time.

I'm sure BookShark will be the same way. Taylor it to your needs. All the missionary titles are gone but it's secular so they pick great books to substitute with. I think it'd be a great choice for book loving families.

I wish there was a way to buy just the IG's, consumables and other unique resources, without the read alouds and the readers, all of which would be available for free at my library. Even so, I couldn't justify paying over $100 for K history...But darn it all, I WANT to.

You can. At the bottom of each page is an orange button that says "all Bookshark products." Scroll down the list and click on what you want. OR you can just print a list of the books they use and read them without an IG.

Lalalalala, you didn't say anything did you? I can't heeaar you!!!!

Gah, okay I looked. And their Reading with History is making me salivate, but if I bought it with the 1st grade readers it would be over $400(!!!) Just for reading and history!!! :lol:

Calm down Anna's Mom....goodness!   :lol: JK!  I was going to tell you....but ondreeuh (below...well, actually above too) already did.  Yes, you can pick and choose...everything is available individually.  If I didn't have our school paying for it, I would definitely buy the IG's and just get the books at the library. 

You can. At the bottom of each page is an orange button that says "all Bookshark products." Scroll down the list and click on what you want. OR you can just print a list of the books they use and read them without an IG.

Hey...I like your name.  I have a sister named Andrea....pronounced ondreeuh.  Usually people say andreeuh...but she's an ondreeuh (which I think sounds so much prettier). 

Hey...I like your name.  I have a sister named Andrea....pronounced ondreeuh.  Usually people say andreeuh...but she's an ondreeuh (which I think sounds so much prettier). 

Thanks! In real life, I introduce myself as ANN-dree-uh to people I'm not going to have a close friendship with, because either they will call me that anyway, or it will fluster them to try to remember it. I've only met one or two other ON-dree-uhs in my life. If I could just start over, I would pronounce it On-DREE-uh or On-DRAY-uh. I guess there's nothing stopping me, well, except all of my family who say it the other way. ;)

Ahhh, thank you! So the IG is $80, the consumables maybe another $30...Although somehow when I look at them all separately, without all the fun books, even knowing we'd be reading the same books without having to pay for them, it no longer looks anywhere near as appealing. :laugh: It's just the idea of building a curriculum with My Father's Dragon and Dr. Doolittle and Pooh that makes me feel giddy.

I don't know what's wrong with me, the last thing I need is another curriculum choice! I think I'll wait to see how well people like it and then if it really is ALL THAT, consider it for 1st grade or mid-K.

Ahhh, thank you! So the IG is $80, the consumables maybe another $30...Although somehow when I look at them all separately, without all the fun books, even knowing we'd be reading the same books without having to pay for them, it no longer looks anywhere near as appealing. :laugh: It's just the idea of building a curriculum with My Father's Dragon and Dr. Doolittle and Pooh that makes me feel giddy.

I don't know what's wrong with me, the last thing I need is another curriculum choice! I think I'll wait to see how well people like it and then if it really is ALL THAT, consider it for 1st grade or mid-K.

I have the exact same reaction. It really is a pretty package, but when I look at the IG samples I KNOW I will end up ignoring it and using it as a book list, so now I just make my own book list to follow, or use Classical House of Learning (which is a free program that includes lots of

LA to go with SOTW).

Thanks! In real life, I introduce myself as ANN-dree-uh to people I'm not going to have a close friendship with, because either they will call me that anyway, or it will fluster them to try to remember it. I've only met one or two other ON-dree-uhs in my life. If I could just start over, I would pronounce it On-DREE-uh or On-DRAY-uh. I guess there's nothing stopping me, well, except all of my family who say it the other way. ;)

I've never met another ondreeuh (I wonder if my sister ever has?).  I say be true to who you really are and stick with ondreeuh, whether people remember it that way or not.  :lol:  Anyway, nice "meeting" you...when I saw your username (which I love...so clever) I just had to say something.

Ok, so what is booksharking?  I have never heard of this.

BookSharking...BookSharker...they are just made-up words to refer to someone who uses BookShark.  My dd said her nickname should be Sharky.  I laughed and when I had to email BkSk about a question I mentioned that.  He said,  "We are thinking of coming up with a mascot for all the little Sharkys out there!"

I have the exact same reaction. It really is a pretty package, but when I look at the IG samples I KNOW I will end up ignoring it and using it as a book list, so now I just make my own book list to follow, or use Classical House of Learning (which is a free program that includes lots of

LA to go with SOTW).

Thank you for mentioning Classical House of Learning. It looks excellent!

Ah this doesn't appear to be fully developed

Love the concept though.

Which part?  I thought it was all ready to go.

I got excited for a minute but after slowing down and getting a little more realistic, I know I wouldn't use the schedule and would just end up using it as a booklist.

It looks great for people who can stick to a lesson plan/schedule. Unfortunately, that's not me.  :tongue_smilie:

Since what they appear to be doing is secularizing sonlight (same parent company) I wouldn't be surprised if the higher grades followed more rapidly than curriculum that needs to be written from scratch. Of course it wouldn't work for anyone who needed grades 6-8 this fall.

It looks really good to me, too, much more appealing than Sonlight, MBP, MP or any other boxed curriculums. If I didnt already own many of the pieces (HWOT, literature, references, etc.) and set/accelerated on Singapore Math, I'd have probably given a serious consideration on this one.

Ah this doesn't appear to be fully developed. 

Love the concept though.

So from looking at it....it just is fully developed through 5th grade?

It's new.  They just started taking orders (this month, I believe).  I'm glad they didn't wait until 6-8th was complete.  The 6th and 7th reading and history will be available in August...the full curriculum for those two grades will be out next year.  I'm not sure the timeline for 8th.  They are considering high school, but are unsure if they will go beyond 8th or not. 

It looks really good to me, too, much more appealing than Sonlight, MBP, MP or any other boxed curriculums. If I didnt already own many of the pieces (HWOT, literature, references, etc.) and set/accelerated on Singapore Math, I'd have probably given a serious consideration on this one.

I know you can request a different level of Teaching Textbooks (I'm getting BookShark 4 but I'm getting TT5 through them), so I would think you can get a different level of the other math options, including Singapore. 

I was THRILLED to see 3 levels of readers for 2nd grade, and ordered the teachers notes. It's like the HOD book lists but vocab and comprehension questions. Just what I've been looking for and I'm so excited as I wasn't sure what to do for reading next year.

But, does anyone know why they aren't doing the same for the upper grades?

Totally THRILLED!! by this too.  I am ordering them all too.  Will be great to test my son's reading comprehension. 

The only downside to me is that the shipping is OUTRAGOUS but then that is shipping to Qatar in general.  I am ordering the things i am missing from History & Science & Readers for 1st and 2nd Grade.  Plus a few other random books.  Total cost right around 600 dollars.  Total shipping cost 230.  I am only ordering from them the things that I can't get from Rainbow Resource since there shipping is only 20% of the order.

Overal despite shipping cost I am excited to try it out.  My plan is to have my son do the science and history reading independantly and then do discussions with me.  We will see how it works.  Like others I have the fear that I will not use the IG and it will be a waste but I think aiming to have my son do more of it independantly will help get it done. 

One thing I noticed that when you go the all products list and then go down to 3rd grade.  Under the readers it says "Readers D Regular"  but when I select that link I get an error message.  I would like to order that but it doesn't seem to be an option.  =(

I was a little bummed that they didn't have 8th grade ready, but I've already started to pull my own world geography thing together for my older ds, so that's okay. He doesn't really fit a box very well anyways (despite my repeated best efforts!).

I'm looking forward to the 3rd grade though!

The only downside to me is that the shipping is OUTRAGOUS but then that is shipping to Qatar in general.  I am ordering the things i am missing from History & Science & Readers for 1st and 2nd Grade.  Plus a few other random books.  Total cost right around 600 dollars.  Total shipping cost 230.  I am only ordering from them the things that I can't get from Rainbow Resource since there shipping is only 20% of the order.

Overal despite shipping cost I am excited to try it out.  My plan is to have my son do the science and history reading independantly and then do discussions with me.  We will see how it works.  Like others I have the fear that I will not use the IG and it will be a waste but I think aiming to have my son do more of it independantly will help get it done. 

One thing I noticed that when you go the all products list and then go down to 3rd grade.  Under the readers it says "Readers D Regular"  but when I select that link I get an error message.  I would like to order that but it doesn't seem to be an option.  =(

Ouch...that is high shipping for you!  I'm getting a full package and it has free shipping. 

You should e-mail them about the Readers D Regular.  They are very quick to answer, and they may not even realize that link isn't working. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am using Bookshark this year-the "K" level, American history 1, and world history (grade 6) if it does come out in August as expected.  I got my boxes for the first two levels and am very happy with everything. They have awesome customer service- I was missing a map and they sent it right out that day, I had it two days later. I love the instructor guides- everything looks so nice and uncluttered, with just the stuff I am actually using. So far at least, I am a fan!

I got the one thing I ordered,which is the 2nd grade advanced reading schedule. It looks good!

I am using Bookshark this year-the "K" level, American history 1, and world history (grade 6) if it does come out in August as expected.  I got my boxes for the first two levels and am very happy with everything. They have awesome customer service- I was missing a map and they sent it right out that day, I had it two days later. I love the instructor guides- everything looks so nice and uncluttered, with just the stuff I am actually using. So far at least, I am a fan!

Yay, this is great to hear!  I am excited to get our box...but it probably won't be until late August. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, we got our first box last week  :hurray:

I ordered the full grade packages for my 2nd grader (this is what came), 4th grader, and 7th grader (ordered 6th grade for him so he'd catch both years of the history).

I am sooooo excited and so far everything is AWESOME. I've always been tempted by Sonlight, but changing around the religious content (we're muslim) seemed like too much of a headache for me. My kids are all totally crazy about read-alouds so I think this will be a good year for us. I've never tried anything this structured before though, so we'll see if the honeymoon lasts  :lol:

Logistics: I received my full 2nd grade box less than a week after ordering, which I thought was pretty good for this time of year. There was a small problem with the printing of the answer pages for the worksheets with the science, so I called them up and the corrected versions of the problematic pages are on their way to me. My 4th grade boxes should be coming this week (I ordered those a few days after the 2nd), and the books for 6th grade will be here soon as well. As stated on the website, I won't be getting the instructor's guides for 6th until after August 1st.

My youngest has dug into his "sharking" with gusto! I think the novelty of getting a big box with just "his" stuff should last us for the first couple of months at least. I'm really impressed with the layout of the guides, the amount of work per day, and really like that it's a 4 day/week format because we have lots of outside activities, so I have hope of keeping up with this!

The only downside to me is that the shipping is OUTRAGOUS but then that is shipping to Qatar in general. I am ordering the things i am missing from History & Science & Readers for 1st and 2nd Grade. Plus a few other random books. Total cost right around 600 dollars. Total shipping cost 230. I am only ordering from them the things that I can't get from Rainbow Resource since there shipping is only 20% of the order.

Overal despite shipping cost I am excited to try it out. My plan is to have my son do the science and history reading independantly and then do discussions with me. We will see how it works. Like others I have the fear that I will not use the IG and it will be a waste but I think aiming to have my son do more of it independantly will help get it done.

One thing I noticed that when you go the all products list and then go down to 3rd grade. Under the readers it says "Readers D Regular" but when I select that link I get an error message. I would like to order that but it doesn't seem to be an option. =(

You must have to order quite a lot from rainbow resources to drop the shipping to 20%. But then I suppose you have to get most stuff shipped in.

We have finished 3 weeks of Eastern Hemisphere. Prior to this we used Sonlight. Actually, I am still using Sonlight for my younger son, BookShark for older. It's very, very similar.

What I like better is that I don't have to purchase their bible or LA materials, it doesn't have the missionary books which we did read before but were never favorites, it replaces those with some great biographies (like one about Nelson Mandela). It is almost identical to Sonlight besides what I have mentioned. It is also a 4-day schedule, which I love.

Since it doesn't include bible or LA, the IG is much less visually cluttered which helps me make the most of it.

I LOVE BookShark!

Yes, we got our first box last week  :hurray:

I ordered the full grade packages for my 2nd grader (this is what came), 4th grader, and 7th grader (ordered 6th grade for him so he'd catch both years of the history).

I am sooooo excited and so far everything is AWESOME. I've always been tempted by Sonlight, but changing around the religious content (we're muslim) seemed like too much of a headache for me. My kids are all totally crazy about read-alouds so I think this will be a good year for us. I've never tried anything this structured before though, so we'll see if the honeymoon lasts  :lol:

Logistics: I received my full 2nd grade box less than a week after ordering, which I thought was pretty good for this time of year. There was a small problem with the printing of the answer pages for the worksheets with the science, so I called them up and the corrected versions of the problematic pages are on their way to me. My 4th grade boxes should be coming this week (I ordered those a few days after the 2nd), and the books for 6th grade will be here soon as well. As stated on the website, I won't be getting the instructor's guides for 6th until after August 1st.

My youngest has dug into his "sharking" with gusto! I think the novelty of getting a big box with just "his" stuff should last us for the first couple of months at least. I'm really impressed with the layout of the guides, the amount of work per day, and really like that it's a 4 day/week format because we have lots of outside activities, so I have hope of keeping up with this!

We have finished 3 weeks of Eastern Hemisphere. Prior to this we used Sonlight. Actually, I am still using Sonlight for my younger son, BookShark for older. It's very, very similar.

What I like better is that I don't have to purchase their bible or LA materials, it doesn't have the missionary books which we did read before but were never favorites, it replaces those with some great biographies (like one about Nelson Mandela). It is almost identical to Sonlight besides what I have mentioned. It is also a 4-day schedule, which I love.

Since it doesn't include bible or LA, the IG is much less visually cluttered which helps me make the most of it.

I LOVE BookShark!

Yay!  I'm so glad to hear this...I can't wait!  I *think* our school will order it on Monday (if all goes well). 

I didn't know it was a 4-day schedule.  I think that will be handy.