Menu

Tennessee and/or Arkansas for vacation, would love help

Elisabet1

We would live to vacation in Arkansas and/or Tennessee later this summer or in the fall. I would love ideas and advice. We usually go to the midwest, so, this is our first time to these areas. We will be traveling with our children, but not the older ones. So they will range in age from 12-2.  I think it would be best if we stayed to the western side of Tennessee as we will be driving.  Suggestions for places to stay and things to do would be great too. We are not in to sports at all. We like the outdoors. We are not interested in city activities, unless there is something historical or such worth looking at. So, it is worth seeing NASA in Houston, but there is nothing else of interest there for us. 

We love the Gatlinburg area/smokey mountains. You can find a nice cabin to rent at a reasonable price with beautiful views. We went last year. My kids are older but we enjoyed horseback riding, ober Gatlinburg was really fun (it's hard to explain so you might want to look it up) there are some outdoor rides, alpine slide, ski lift as well as an indoor ice skating rink and some shops. We also enjoy driving through the smokey mountains and stopping a few points on the way up for pictures. Many touristy things to do like mini golf, go carts We tend to stay further away from the crowds but it isn't far to get to those things

This might sound crazy but the playground at Shelby Farm Park in Memphis is worth a stop. It is an incredibly innovative playground and the highlight of our drive through Tennessee and Arkansas. We've also done Hot Springs, Nashville, and the diamond mining thing in Arkansas.