Menu

Jacobs Algebra users... questions please :)

what do I actually need for dd to take elementary algebra?

1. Textbook (has instruction and exercises)

2. Teacher Guide (has a little bit more instructional info, and the answers to set 2 problems)

3. Solutions Manual (has tests, and answers to set 1, set 3, and set 4 problems)

If you are confident in math, then you could forego the answer key. (I think I only needed it once or twice.) If you are strong in the higher levels of math, then you could just go with the textbook. (We did read the tidbit extras for each lesson from the teacher guide -- mostly didn't really need it, but it was interesting; the answers in the back is what was helpful.)

is there anywhere to see samples of it?

wapiti linked you

best place to purchase?

Jacobs Algebra is an older (1970s), out of print text, so the only places I see it are on homeschool sale/swap boards such as the WTM Classifieds, Homeschool Classifieds, or the Vegsource Homeschool Sale/Swap board (often with the components sold together) -- or, used on Amazon, ebay or other used book seller or online auction (and you often have to piece together the components separately).

ok.... so everything I ordered came in and it looks amazing!!! I have the dvds from ask dr calahan, the text, solutions manual and a test booklet from Jacobs (and then theres also the tests that came with dr calahans.

how much of each lesson in the text should I have dd do?? it looks like ALOT of practice problems. can anyone chime in with what they do??? thanks!!!!!

Set 1 is review of past concepts.

Set 2 and Set 3 are identical (in types of problems, just have different numbers plugged in). You only need to do one or the other. If the student needs additional practice, then you can assign selected problems from the other Set to work specifically on what was not clicking.

Set 4 is an optional "challenge" problem.

Check your teacher's disk. There is a syllabus that gives you the assignments for each chapter. Dr Callahan gives a sampling of what problems to do, gives guidance on grading and a goof perspective on how to challenge you student.

• 1 month later...

ok.... so everything I ordered came in and it looks amazing!!! I have the dvds from ask dr calahan, the text, solutions manual and a test booklet from Jacobs (and then theres also the tests that came with dr calahans.

how much of each lesson in the text should I have dd do?? it looks like ALOT of practice problems. can anyone chime in with what they do??? thanks!!!!!

Where did you buy yours? I just bought a vintage Geometry by Jacob's for $15 plus shipping. I am still looking for Elementary Algebra. The library has one copy.

• 3 weeks later...