Menu

Dr. Hive--avocado allergy???

ThisIsTheDay

My 15yods seems to have developed an allergic reaction to avocados, with mild lip itching/swelling and stomach ache.  How is this possible?  We eat more avocados than any other fruit or vegetable.

When he was young, he had a severe pine pollen allergy. He did the horrible strip test and pine and hay were the only real triggers. 

Within four years, he no longer showed ANY reaction to pine or any other pollen--but he developed a peanut allergy.

And now avocados? He's had a consistent reaction for the past two weeks. We were suspicious but confirmed it tonight.

I'm unfamiliar with allergies and why they might come and (hopefully) go.  What is up with this?  Is there anything I need to be concerned about down the road?  Is this normal to have different reactions at different times in your life?

Is there any way that he can eat avocados again?  I'm wondering if it might be where the avocados were grown?  (Mexico) I bought at least one other batch, plus tonight's batch from a yukky little grocery store, where I've never bought avocados before.

I have never heard of an avocado allergy before, but I googled and learned something new.  :/

You can become allergic to any food at any time.  My dd has recently become allergic to tomatoes.  Not a fun allergy!  Anyway, be careful with avocado allergies because they can be related in some cases to an allergy to latex.  They can also be related to allergies to other foods with similar proteins like bananas.  

from what I understand, adults are usually the ones who develop oral allergies like that, and avocado is a common oral allergy.  I have a kid that has an oral allergy to raw figs, but not cooked ones.  It can be linked to latex allergies, so you may want to watch for that, too.  

I don't really have an answer, except that my daughter used to have similar allergies to certain raw fruits and vegetables.  However, since she has lived in Costa Rica (almost five years now), she doesn't have that reaction to the same fruits and vegetables down there.  When she comes home, she has them again.

So, there is something about the ones she eats down there that is different.  Maybe not as many preservatives, or maybe the soil is different, or the fertilizer... who knows.  The ones she eats down there are specifically grown down there;  she buys them farm fresh.

Her asthma is practically gone down there as well.

I developed oral allergy symptoms to avocados as an adult, but it was very strange. I thought I was losing my mind because it seemed to depend upon the season I ate them, how ripe the avocados were, and where they came from!

After a visit with my allergist I was quite suprised. Some docs actually refer to oral allergy syndrome as pollen allergy syndrome...because it tends to develop in those individuals who are highly sensitive/allergic to pollens. It is thought to be a cross-reactivity between certain proteins in fruits and veggies (allergens) and those found in weeds, plants and trees. The way that your body fights the allergens in seasonal pollen with an immune reaction (specifically IgE antibodies if I remember?) can also react with proteins in the fruits and veggies you can normally eat:(

So, as in my case, during seasons when my pollen allergies are giving me grief I have to stay away from avocados and even tomatoes sometimes!

That being said, my reactions are irritating. Swollen mouth in patches, puffy lips and itching. I would definitely see an allergist if he is having serious symptoms, or if they seem to be getting worse!

I am on my phone, but if you google OAS and pollen you will find a ton of info:)

It is not uncommon for little kids to grow out of some allergies, but I don't know why that is, and it is also common for new allergies to develop at any time.

When I was a kid, we frequently had guinea pigs as pets. When I was 17, I became highly allergic to guinea pigs, and I have never heard of anyone else being allergic to them.