Menu

Self-Ed: Science

Let's assume for a moment that you have zero science background. Virtually no science in elementary school, none in high school or college (I realize that sounds crazy, but stay with me).

Now you're homeschooling and even BFSU book 1 is making you realize how very very little you know which means having organic science discussions with your children simply isn't happening.

What would you use for self-ed? I realize I could go out and get some used science text books but my learning style is much more visual/auditory especially with complex topics. I was almost thinking of getting a subscription to Supercharged Science and watching all the videos.

Coursera has some good refresher courses (I'm scheduled to take the Chemistry soon).  I would do a search for different science MOOCs and see what's available.  There are also some good YouTube offerings that explain things in detail.

I took science in high school, passed hs Physics by the skin of my teeth and had to re-take my college Geology once and Chemistry twice just to graduate. I feel your pain!  Science isn't my strong suit at all.

Both suggestions - watch Coursera lectures, and get the Joy of Science class from the TC, would  be great I think.  Even before that, you might want to pick up the book Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy by Hazen & Trefil.  Read it once straight through to get a big picture view of the critical discoveries, theories, and fields of science and how they all fit together.  Then go through it again, and read it slowly, chapter by chapter, maybe along with the Joy of Science lectures or relevant Coursera classes, and try to gain a basic grasp of the fundamental concepts in each chapter.

Here is a link to the book:  http://www.amazon.com/Science-Matters-Achieving-Scientific-Literacy/dp/0307454584/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402428663&sr=8-1&keywords=science+matters

There are lots of good, readable trade books for each topic, but I'd start with  something like this that gives you a coherent picture, and helps you see how all the parts fit together.

Also look at The Happy Scientist: broad selection of topics, very conversational style, can watch alone or with your kids. Not sure how busy he is these days, but when my kids had occasional questions about the videos way back when, we did get answers from the author.

Homeschool Buyers Coop is currently offering their discounted subscription, too.

For some variety, you could toss in Crash Course.  Don't know if they'd be as good as a first introduction as to review, but they're both fun and informative in a short period of time. :)  There are lots of topics - for science there's Biology, Chemistry, and Ecology.  (Can't believe how many topics they've added since I last looked - they're busy boys!)