Menu

What kind of gift do you send for a baby announcement?

Katy

This is the situation: We got a mailed birth announcement today for a three month old.  We weren't sent any baby shower invites. Typically if we get a shower invite I send a gift, if we are close enough to visit the hospital they get another gift.  I've never been sent a birth announcement from someone I didn't go to a shower for, so I don't know the protocol here.

DH was in their wedding a year ago, they were college roommates but haven't seen each other more than 5 times since then (except for their wedding).  First child & marriage for him; third child for her (if that makes a difference).  We probably would be closer if we didn't live so far away.

I don't think it's necessary to send anything. I certainly didn't expect any presents when I sent mine out. I think any presents we did receive were sent when the baby was born, not when the announcements were sent out.

I agree that it's not necessary to send a gift -- I just suggested sending something small, along with a nice card, because it seemed like Katy was already planning to send a gift. :)