Menu

Show me your small homeschool room!

I'd love to see pictures of very small homeschool rooms. We have an extra bedroom, with a closet, that is like to turn into a school space. It is small, able to fit a full size bed and a dresser but not much else.

Inspire me!

If I had a small homeschool room, I would probably use it for bookshelves, science kits, a whiteboard on the wall, office supplies, and maybe a love seat. I wouldn't try to do school in there full time, but would use it as a resource room and a quiet place for a kid to work. This is kind of the situation I'll be in our new house. I plan to have our everyday books and materials on a rolling library cart and work at the big table in the living/dining room, and when we have company I can roll the cart into the room to hide it. It would be too cramped to fit our table in there and actually do our learning.

Ours is very tiny, maybe 10'x14', schoolroom in our basement, and it triples as a schoolroom+coat room+pantry. I joke that it is a glorified walk-in closet, but it really has worked beautifully for us. The key for us is lining the walls with storage but hiding everything in bins on the shelves. I also chose muted cool colors, clean lines, and lots of warm whites and neutrals (including two cozy white shag rugs) with maximized natural lighting. It creates a welcoming feel that eliminates distractions for my very easily distracted DS6 with sensory issues (this was all on the advice of a friend who did a Master thesis on the subject of school environments). Our 5 dc are ages 6 and under, so a square child's table (seating 4) sits in the center of the schoolroom.

We use it primarily for seat work, and relocate to the living room for reading on the couch or the dining room for things like art. The kids love it, and because it's a quiet, separate space, it's great for one-on-one work. Plus it's nice to corral all our school stuff in one place so we can stay organized. The space is tight, but adequate for all my kids at the moment, though for older children it probably would only work as a private study space for one child at a time.

If I can figure out how, I'll try to add pics at some point.

I just moved our homeschool room to the room off our kitchen (I guess you would consider it a den?) and I think it will work out great. After I finish getting it together I will post pics. It's not a tiny space though. 

Our classroom is about 10 x 12, I don't consider that tiny, however. It does serve the purpose of the workout room, formal dining room, and classroom. Technically it's supposed to be a bedroom. ;) 

I don't have time to upload photos, but it has a square table, 3 bookcases, a few smaller white boards, and a punching bag on a stand. If we want cozy we move to the living room. Ds does most of his work in the classroom. 

Mine's smaller than that! I don't know if it's inspiration worthy, but it is working. I recently was thinking of re-arranging or switching rooms, but I love the window and being downstairs, so it is what 'tis. There is also a hall closet right outside this room that we use for art supplies and such.

Excuse the summer disorganization:

Mine's smaller than that! I don't know if it's inspiration worthy, but it is working. I recently was thinking of re-arranging or switching rooms, but I love the window and being downstairs, so it is what 'tis. There is also a hall closet right outside this room that we use for art supplies and such.

Definitely inspiration worthy!  That is beautiful!  And if that is "summer disorganization", I'm not sure what to call our space right now.  "Armageddon"?  Thanks for posting!

It's beautiful!

I can tell you don't live in earthquake country, what with the microscope on the top shelf.  :tongue_smilie:

It's beautiful!

I can tell you don't live in earthquake country, what with the microscope on the top shelf.  :tongue_smilie:

Ugh!!!! Not anymore, thank goodness! Although I did notice - from the picture, not in real life, mind you - that one of the books up there has fallen and is leaning against the wall. Not sure how that happened, lol.