Menu

BJU DVD program

mom2vikha

Hi Ladies,

I am thinking about homeschooling my DD8 this year. I am afterschooling now. She is pretty advanced in Math. I am using MM with her. I am considering homeschooling with her because of her figure skating. She is passionate about it. And she is very gOod at it too. So I want her to peruse her passion.

I want handholding yet rigorous curriculum. She is very STEM oriented child. Loves math and science. Well, mom not so much :(

Do you all think BJU DVD program (whole program) would serve out purpose?

Else following are my options:

BJU DVD

Or

Math: MM, BA, Zacarro, process skills

Spanish: ?

Science: Ellen Mchenry elements with Experimebts once or twice a week

Literature: CAP, Killgallon, vocabulary workshop, lots of reading.

Logic: logos liftoff

Music: piano lessons

Please critic and options on BJU pleaseeee

Have you watched the sample videos? To me, eight is really young to sit and watch a lot of video teaching. I tried two BJU dlo subjects this past year and neither worked out for us. But overall the videos do seem to be well done. BJU textbooks seem to be considered excellent textbooks.

I would suggest trying one or two video subjects first.

Our problems with the dvds might not be problems for other students. The math 4 teacher did extensive, slow-paced review. My dd did NOT want to sit through the dvd lesson. She is now doing Teaching Textbooks 6 (she does her work in the workbook, then checks her answers with the cd) and that is working out so much better. I plan to add some drill work to TT. We also tried science 4. We did not care for the teacher (her style would be better for 1st-2nd graders) but we liked the book. We are starting McHenry's Elements soon and are really looking forward to it; it looks great!

I personally cannot imagine using one publisher (like BJU or Abeka) for all subjects. It would drive both my dd and me over the edge. :) But that approach works well for some people. We will continue with the BJU English (books, no dvd) as it is comprehensive and well written. I plan to add more of the review sheets (from the teacher cd) this coming year. We have enjoyed BJU literature (way too many comprehension questions! I only used about 25% of their questions) but are trying Mosdos Coral this year.

Best wishes for a great homeschool year! A friend's dd is very involved in dance and homeschooling has been a blessing for them.

I also strongly suggest that you watch some sample of the videos before making a decision.   BJU's material is excellent, but the DVDs are truly replicating "school at home" and may require much more time than just using the materials and teaching your DD yourself.  If you feel like YOU are weak in certain subjects, maybe consider using the DVD option just for those subjects and teach the others yourself.    The beauty of homeschooling is that it doesn't have to be "all or nothing."   If your goal in homeschooling is to allow your DD more time to pursue her passion, a DVD that replicates "school at home" won't give you the time you are looking for.

I wonder why you would choose other curricula if you choose not to do the BJU DVD option, instead of just using the BJU textbooks?   If you feel that the other curricula you've listed are a better fit for your family, you may be better off going that route.

We have used BJU English (textbook only) up through 6th grade and found it was very easy for my kids to learn mostly independently.   Using a DVD program would have been overkill for my kids.   I have friends who use BJU math (texbook only, no DVD) and are very pleased with it.   Overall, if BJU fits your worldview and faith, I've heard only good things about it through the elementary years.

Just because the BJU stuff is good doesn't mean there aren't options you can put together that are also good.  To me, your list seems very reasonable.  Given how well-researched you are, I'll bet you'd spend a lot of time 2nd guessing the BJU and thinking you could have done it more quickly with the things you preferred, etc. etc.  Also, it sounds like she has a lot of energy and motion in her.  The BJU videos are going to make things take more time, not less, and it's going to be sedentary time in front of a video.  

If she's doing WELL with the Math Mammoth, leave her.  Don't fix what isn't broken, kwim?  I like the BJU math a lot, but you shouldn't fix what isn't broken.  She's too young to spend $400 for a single subject here or there, and it sounds like you have most of your stuff figured out.

Don't be afraid.  It's normal to be a bit overwhelmed, but it sounds like you're good at researching and filling in holes you find.  You'll be fine!  Just create clear structure for her, so she knows the expectations.  Skaters I know in that situation will homeschool, yes, but they'll work in spurts.  Like they'll skate for an hour, then do some work, then skate the noon skate, then work some more, etc.  So give her clear, efficient work so she can do that.  Efficiency will win out and the reading she does will pick up the rigor and smooth things over.  You can do this!  :)

Personally, I would never want to do a full grade of anything on video or online. I want more interaction than that with my kids. If I needed to do it for any reason (health, needing to work, etc.), then BJU is the way I would go. BJU materials are by far my favorite if I had to do school in a box.

The only earlier elementary BJU video I used was 3rd grade science. I bought the online version during one of their $99 specials and bought the books used online. It was a great course, but I mostly wanted to do it because Mrs. Vick is the teacher. She is wonderful. I bought the 5th grade history during the last sale and ds is doing it now. He LOVES it. Mrs. Walker is the teacher, and he is really learning a lot and enjoying it. The teacher, his/her presentations, speaking voice, expressions, all matter to me. If I'm going to ask my child to watch it all year, I want it to be a good experience.

I've already purchased the dvd science for 6th grade and will be using the dvd/online science all through middle school. Again, Mrs. Vick teaches all 3 courses, and she is amazing. She makes science come alive. Ds' favorite subject is science, and I think he'll end up in a science field, so the money is well worth it to me.  I am considering doing history in 7th and 8th grades through the dvd/online option. I'm not using 6th because it hasn't been updated to use the latest edition. 

Dd has used US history for high school, is using 11th grade Bible, and will be doing Economics starting later this summer.

I'm sorry I don't have more experience with younger, but I can say it is an option that I would always consider in some areas of my school.