Menu

Favorite Gilgamesh for read-aloud with a 6th grader?

I'm being lazy and hope some of you might chime in with an edition or two to look at for reading aloud to my rising 6th grader in the fall. Maybe McCaughrean's Gilgamesh the Hero? Others? As a read-aloud it can certainly be a higher reading level. For this particular child, shorter is better than longer. We did the Zeman picture book trilogy 4 years ago (and 8 years ago), and I'll probably pull those out for her to peruse on her own. Thanks.

McCaughrean's is probably readable for your 6th grader on her own, but it would still make a great read aloud. I read it to my 4th and 2nd grader and we loved it. It is fairly short and has pictures - but it is not at all babyish. I don't know if there is another retelling at a higher level until you get to the real thing.

I don't remember a good one between McCaughrean and the actual translation. We enjoyed Gilgamesh the Hero. :)

Fyi: Make sure you preread if you plan to read aloud the actual translation. There are a few places that would need heavily edited for that age (rape for one).