Menu

Need good books for transatlantic flights

PrairieSong

We are leaving for Europe soon and I need some page turners to keep me distracted. I don't like flying and ESPECIALLY if there is turbulence. I don't sleep because my stomach is tied in knots worrying, so I bring books and knitting to keep myself occupied.

Can anyone recommend some good books? I mostly read fiction. I like fantasy and sci if, but really, anything that is well written with a engaging plot would be great. I also love history, both historical fiction and nonfiction.

Thanks!

We are leaving for Europe soon and I need some page turners to keep me distracted. I don't like flying and ESPECIALLY if there is turbulence. I don't sleep because my stomach is tied in knots worrying, so I bring books and knitting to keep myself occupied.

Can anyone recommend some good books? I mostly read fiction. I like fantasy and sci if, but really, anything that is well written with a engaging plot would be great. I also love history, both historical fiction and nonfiction.

Thanks!

Where are you going?  Perhaps it would be fun to read something set in your destination?  Les Mis for Paris, Dickens for London, etc.

There's these light Edward Rutherford novels about a number of places in Europe.  They're thick and easy reads and will keep you occupied.  Or maybe Pillars of the Earth?

Or, you may want something that's even closer to brain candy.  The last thing I read on a transatlantic flight was Outlander.  New one's out next week, I think too.

Or, fantasy...  I just read Finnikin of the Rock - it's a YA, but it was longish and very well written.

There's these light Edward Rutherford novels about a number of places in Europe. They're thick and easy reads and will keep you occupied. Or maybe Pillars of the Earth?

Or, you may want something that's even closer to brain candy. The last thing I read on a transatlantic flight was Outlander. New one's out next week, I think too.

Or, fantasy... I just read Finnikin of the Rock - it's a YA, but it was longish and very well written.

I was thinking the new book in the Outlander series too.

Some fun reads:

the Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega series (urban fantasy):

On the Prowl (which has the original Alpha and Omega novella which starts the series), Cry WolfHunting Ground,  and  Fair Game.

historical romance: The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie  by Jennifer Ashley (some adult content)  or Lisa Kleypas' Secrets of a Summer Night (The Wallflowers, Book 1) or Carla Kelly's books.

For fun light-hearted reading: The Little World of Don Camillo by Giovanni Guareschi. There are six books. See here for details: Don Camillo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or how about a time travel book? A favorite is  Time and Again by Jack Finney and its sequel From Time to Time as well as Replay by Ken Grimwood.  The latter is not time travel per se but see below.

From the Library Journal's review on Amazon (on Replay):

"The possibility of traveling back in time to relive one's life has long fascinated science fiction writers. Without a single gesture toward an explanation, this mainstream novel recounts the story of a man and a woman mysteriously given the ability to live their lives over. Each dies in 1988 only to awaken as a teenager in 1963 with adult knowledge and wisdom intact and the ability to make a new set of choices."

Enjoy your trip!

Regards,

Kareni

Well, looks like you've got  enough good recommendations to cover you even if you take a slow boat to Europe, but I'll add Connie Willis' "Blackout/All Clear", a pair of time traveling novels set mostly during the Blitz of London.  For Paris, how about Adam Gopnik's series of essays about living in Paris, titled "Paris to the Moon".

OP, I am/was a nervous flyer, too, but the best flight I've ever had was the one during which I read Patrick Smith's book, Cockpit Confidential: Everything You Need to Know About Air Travel.  It was so enormously helpful, and really made me feel a lot calmer about turbulence.

I am actually kind of annoyed at myself for giving this book away after I read it, because I want to reread it before our next trip.

OP, I am/was a nervous flyer, too, but the best flight I've ever had was the one during which I read Patrick Smith's book, Cockpit Confidential: Everything You Need to Know About Air Travel. It was so enormously helpful, and really made me feel a lot calmer about turbulence.

I am actually kind of annoyed at myself for giving this book away after I read it, because I want to reread it before our next trip.

Sounds like one I should read, too!