Menu

Chemistry with Third grader

mom2vikha

Hi Ladies,

As always I am turning to you guys for advise. I am planning to do Chemistry with my rising third grader. I am looking into Ellen Mchenry Elements. How did you guys use it? Did you use any chemistry kits with it? How many days per week did you do? can a non-sciency ( even if that is a word😜) teach it? Does it have a student book?

Another Question. My DD is a very science oriented kid. She loves robotics. Is there a way I can encourage her at home? She is a competitive figure skater and there is no time for her to goto a class.

Thanks a lot ladies.

Lots of people like Ellen McHenry's Elements, but my kids didn't really care for it so I can't really help there.

A book of fun chemistry labs that can be done at home and added to any chemistry study is:

150 Captivating Chemistry Experiments Using Household Substances

http://www.amazon.com/Captivating-Chemistry-Experiments-Household-Substances/dp/0971848025

We haven't used Ellen McHenry's Elements, but for an easy book of hands-on experiments, we used the Well-Trained Mind recommendation of Adventures with Atoms and Molecules by Mebane and Rybolt and worked through the first two books (The link for Book 1 is http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-With-Atoms-Molecules-Experiments/dp/0766012247). Most experiments had easy materials to gather.

Do you have a 4-H office in your area? Our area has a couple of robotics clubs connected with 4-H. Perhaps you could connect with one of their leaders to see what you might be able to do at home?

Erica in OR

For young kids, I really love RealScience4Kids Pre-Level 1 (or whatever she's renamed the very first book).  I liked it so much I bought the whole next level, and... meh.  But that first one for young kids is something special.  I actually think it could be good paired with The Elements, as they come at Chemistry from different angles, and neither one is a full-year curriculum.

McHenry's The Elements is wonderful.  We just read through it, so I can't help with how to orchestrate the hands on part.  Another option would be the ACS middle school chemistry lessons

As for robotics, do you have a FIRST Lego League team in your area?  That was how my son got started in robotics.  Another option would be to just just get the Lego robot kit.  It would be good if she were to have an adult or older child to work with though.

For young kids, I really love RealScience4Kids Pre-Level 1 (or whatever she's renamed the very first book).  I liked it so much I bought the whole next level, and... meh.  But that first one for young kids is something special.  I actually think it could be good paired with The Elements, as they come at Chemistry from different angles, and neither one is a full-year curriculum.

We posted at the same time. And "meh" was our response. LOL.

I did sort of like the prelevel, but I didn't like the next and I certainly didn't like Bio. 

The fact that it didn't take me very far was one of my main issues.

I've now taken 2 kids through Ellen McHenry's "The Elements". There are some hands-on activities but not a lot. If you want more lab activities look into Dr. Dave's Teaching Manual: Chemistry from RFWP. http://www.rfwp.com/pages/dr-daves-teaching-manuals/#book-dr-daves-teaching-manuals-chemistry

With both my kids, I used John Hudson Tiner's "Exploring the World of Chemistry" to supplement "The Elements". DS in particular LOVED it. He used it with the MP study guide.

We posted at the same time. And "meh" was our response. LOL.

I did sort of like the prelevel, but I didn't like the next and I certainly didn't like Bio. 

LOL - the Level 1 Bio was downright awful.  I never ended up using any of it.  The magic wasn't there, lol.  Yeah, and too short for what older elementary kids need.  Ellen McHenry I think is much better for the next level.

I used the "Pre-Level" (I think she's renamed the levels though) twice both times with 2nd-graders (caveat: ONLY the chem.  I have never seen the other books at that level)..  I think that's a good age for it, but I don't think 3rd is too old if they've never seen the material before.  I have to admit I loved the imagery of the little atoms with the number of arms representing how many bonds each could make.  And I thought it was cool she could extend that image all they way up to accurately shaped polymers.

LOL - the Level 1 Bio was downright awful.  I never ended up using any of it.  The magic wasn't there, lol.  Yeah, and too short for what older elementary kids need.  Ellen McHenry I think is much better for the next level.

I used the "Pre-Level" (I think she's renamed the levels though) twice both times with 2nd-graders (caveat: ONLY the chem.  I have never seen the other books at that level)..  I think that's a good age for it, but I don't think 3rd is too old if they've never seen the material before.  I have to admit I loved the imagery of the little atoms with the number of arms representing how many bonds each could make.  And I thought it was cool she could extend that image all they way up to accurately shaped polymers.

I only have experience with the chem at that level as well. I could see keeping the texts as a sort of read on your own book, but as a full curriculum I couldn't get into RS4K (and I really really wanted to like them).

RSO is my happy place. And I want to give Elements a shot. I would recommend those.