Menu

Beginning Writing- Sentences, Paragraphs, etc

My4arrows

We are currently using FLL for my DSs who will be beginning 2nd and K soon.  Although we enjoy that, I am looking for something a little different than WWE for the writing component.  Any suggestions of what to use, even if its a workbook?  It would be mainly for my older DS, but I'm sure younger brother will want to tag along since he actually enjoys writing.

When you say writing component, are you looking for something more than copywork/dictation? We use FLL/WWE at home and so probably am not the best to answer this question. If you are looking for workbooks, I imagine companies like Evan Moor and Spectrum should have workbooks for writing and you should be able to see samples online (or in a teacher store/Book store). Bravewriter, IEW and a host of other writing programs have been frequently mentioned in these forums, although they might be more suited for your 2nd grader.

Evan moor have 6 trait writing books that are OK. The super sentence one doesn't seem worth what I paid though so I haven't looked at the paragraph one. I have just ordered kilgallon sentence composing for elementary though because I thought it might help. It is aimed at upper elementary I think but I have a child in 3rd grade next year.

Personally I would drop FLL and use WWE with something else but I really found FLL1 tedious.

My DS did Singapore Sentences to Paragraphs book 3 this past year and is currently working through book 4. He is also doing WWE 1, but I'm considering that penmanship practice. I don't love the Singapore writing books but they are cheap and he wasn't ready yet for the other writing books I own.

The CAP W&R books are super-tempting but spending $40 per semester course when I already have a shelf full of writing programs is not. Especially in light of all the money I recently spent on writing books at a high school & college level for my own self-education and trying to figure out what to use with oldest DD.

What I'm leaning towards for after DS finishes Singapore Sentences to Paragraphs 4 is a quick run-through of EPS' "The Paragraph Book" series, pulling out the chapters where he hasn't already covered the topic. Then I'm thinking we'll do Scholastic Paragraph Writing Made Easy. PWME is often part of Scholastic Dollar Days sale, so keep an eye out for that.

Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press? We really like it here.

I wouldn't recommend starting this until the child is comfortable writing a page full. You have to rewrite stories that are more than a 4 sentence paragraph.

We really like it also and are continuing it in 5th grade, but I wouldn't recommend it for a 2nd grader that needs to learn how to write paragraphs.