Menu

Fifth Grade Literary Analysis

kagmypts

I am going to change our approach to literary analysis a bit this upcoming school year.  My daughter is a strong reader, and she comprehends very well.  However, I would love to formally introduce her to various literary analytic tools - point of view, mood, climax/resolution, inference, etc.  We studied poetry this past year, and she is very familiar with imagery, alliteration, personification, simile, metaphor, etc.  What should I be sure to include?  I would love if anyone has links or Pinterest boards to share!!!

I was going to suggest Figuratively Speaking as well. Have you considered Teaching the Classics? It does a good job of introducing the setting, plot, conflict, use of characters, etc. It gives you whole lists of socratic discussion questions which could be applied to any work. 

I am using The Reader's Handbook (purchased according to reading level, not grade level) and Teaching Interpretation Using Text-based Evidence to Construct Meaning. The second book is published by Heinemann, and it's more classroom focused than I'd like, but I think it's going to help me over some specific hurdles I have about literary analysis.

My son really liked using The Reader's Handbook this year (4th grade), but we got bogged down trying to study a novel--it was too big and complicated for our first time out of the gate. This year, we'll use the information to study short stories (and maybe picture books) as well as essays, speeches, etc. from a collection of original sources that his history curriculum put together. We purchased a lit guide to study one novel (and he'll read some for fun), and we can augment the lit guide if we need to.

Crossing my fingers...

Take a look at the TOC's for "Figuratively Speaking" and also Walch "Poetry and Prose Toolbook" for a list of topics to consider covering. Maybe also DITHOR but it's been a while since I looked at that so I can't remember what specifically it covers.