Menu

Learn Java with Minecraft - 40% off + NEW 20% off code! Ends on 17th

For those of us who missed the sale back in April: the deal is back on!! It's through Plum District again (same as Groupon basically):

http://t.co/ChhilL6QwZ (this is my ref link that takes you directly to the deal).

It's $149 for a one year subscription to their Youth Digital's Online Mod Design 1 Course (RRP $249), for ages 8-14. There's been several threads here with great reviews  :D

Also, it looks like you once you've purchased the deal you don't have to activate your account until December (so you don't have to waste 3mths of your subscription now if you're not using it during the summer break for example).

There's an intro video here: http://player.vimeo.com/video/78927400

and their website is: http://www.youthdigital.com/mod-design-1.html

The deal ends on June 10th . Now extended to June 17th!

Update: there's an additional promo code for 20% off celebratesummer2014

I was already planning on signing my son up for YouthDigital in a few months but doing it now will save me quite a bit of money.  However, what is Plum District exactly?  I assume I would need to be a member in order to access the sale price?

Dumb mama moment but I just realized I'll need a copy of Minecraft.  I'm assuming programming means playing the game as well?  I know this sounds weird, but any advice as to how easy it is to keep Mod Design 1 focused more on programming and mostly avoid the game playing?  I'm asking because back when I allowed DS to play video games (20 minutes a day - if I could pull him off the computer in that amount of time) he was surfacing from game time with an intense and grumpy affect and making the rest of the family miserable.  It became so disruptive that I finally had to ban him from video games.

I was already planning on signing my son up for YouthDigital in a few months but doing it now will save me quite a bit of money. However, what is Plum District exactly? I assume I would need to be a member in order to access the sale price?

Dumb mama moment but I just realized I'll need a copy of Minecraft. I'm assuming programming means playing the game as well? I know this sounds weird, but any advice as to how easy it is to keep Mod Design 1 focused more on programming and mostly avoid the game playing? I'm asking because back when I allowed DS to play video games (20 minutes a day - if I could pull him off the computer in that amount of time) he was surfacing from game time with an intense and grumpy affect and making the rest of the family miserable. It became so disruptive that I finally had to ban him from video games.

I would not do it in your shoes. The idea is get instructions in a mod, create a mod, test a mod. Game play is necessary. Beyond that though, honestly, the appeal of this particular class is seeing your own mod in action. To take away from the play aspect is to take away the fun of working with your creation. I imagine more kids are attracted to this particular class because of Minecraft rather than love of programming and a deep desire to learn Java. If you have a kid predisposed to becoming moody or obsessive over the game (don't know how extreme he is), I would recommend another of Youth Digital's classes. My oldest has been doing this class and it is first rate, wonderfully done but yeah, sometimes I find myself feeling like a sucker, ignorantly asking how long he really needs to test a mod. In this case, ignorance is not bliss. Overall though, this is not a huge problem for him, so it is OK.

Thanks, Julie. It would get pretty expensive to get three separate copies.

Two of my kids have been wanting to learn how to "program" for a while, but I haven't known what the best starting point would be. I bought a single subscription yesterday as a fun summer activity, & all three kids have been working on it together. So far, I like how it's working out... If they have to be doing something online, I like the fact that they're talking to each other about what to do & how to do it, not just each sitting in front of their own little screen, in their own little virtual world.

I would not do it in your shoes. The idea is get instructions in a mod, create a mod, test a mod. Game play is necessary. If you have a kid predisposed to becoming moody or obsessive over the game (don't know how extreme he is), I would recommend another of Youth Digital's classes. My oldest has been doing this class and it is first rate, wonderfully done but yeah, sometimes I find myself feeling like a sucker, ignorantly asking how long he really needs to test a mod. In this case, ignorance is not bliss. Overall though, this is not a huge problem for him, so it is OK.

Well, that's not the response I was hoping for but thank you very much for your honest input.  

DS wants to use YouthDigital because 1) he loves to program and 2) the boys at Cub Scouts talk about Minecraft all. the. time. and he feels left out.  I'll have to weight the benefits vs the disadvantages.  Maybe we can give it a try and I'll warn DS that, if we do decide to purchase the  Mod Design 1 Course, I will pull his privileges if game play becomes disruptive to the family.  And especially if he goes back to being verbally cruel to his sister.

Guess I'll have to think about this a bit more.  

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason I wasn't receiving notifications from this thread, sorry for the late replies!

Can multiple children use one subscription?  Or would each child need a separate subscription?

I bought a single subscription yesterday as a fun summer activity, & all three kids have been working on it together. So far, I like how it's working out... If they have to be doing something online, I like the fact that they're talking to each other about what to do & how to do it, not just each sitting in front of their own little screen, in their own little virtual world.

From what I've read in reviews it seems that most families just get one license to share, I'm glad it's working out with 3 kids :)

However, what is Plum District exactly?  I assume I would need to be a member in order to access the sale price?

Plum District is a daily deal site just like Groupon except that the deals are aimed at moms. You do have to sign up to their website to buy the deals, however you don't need to enter any bank card details when you register - only when you purchase a deal. 

Dumb mama moment but I just realized I'll need a copy of Minecraft.  I'm assuming programming means playing the game as well?  I know this sounds weird, but any advice as to how easy it is to keep Mod Design 1 focused more on programming and mostly avoid the game playing?  I'm asking because back when I allowed DS to play video games (20 minutes a day - if I could pull him off the computer in that amount of time) he was surfacing from game time with an intense and grumpy affect and making the rest of the family miserable.  It became so disruptive that I finally had to ban him from video games.

DS wants to use YouthDigital because 1) he loves to program and 2) the boys at Cub Scouts talk about Minecraft all. the. time. and he feels left out.  I'll have to weight the benefits vs the disadvantages.  Maybe we can give it a try and I'll warn DS that, if we do decide to purchase the  Mod Design 1 Course, I will pull his privileges if game play becomes disruptive to the family.  And especially if he goes back to being verbally cruel to his sister.

I was hesitant to get my son started on Minecraft too but overall I'm glad we went ahead with it. It is an addictive game so we set expectations right away: we use a timer and he only uses it three times a week. This seems to work and we've managed to avoid tantrums so far, maybe it could work for your son too? I wanted to keep it educational so we started with Minecraft Homeschool classes, however it lacked instruction... it basically just gives you a theme to work with every week.
Ds's only just started the Mod Design course but so far it seems awesome, everything is clearly explained and the fact he's creating Minecraft mods highly motivates him to learn Java. I'm not sure he would have had any interest in learning to code at his age without the Minecraft theme tbh.