Menu

Help with donations

Night Elf

Dd16 is doing two mission trips in June. The first is a local one and the other is out of the country. We're under the impression that the YMCA has donations already for each student to pack for the out of country trip. But for the local trip, they just said bring toys, balls and children's books to share with kids. So we're assuming we are to buy these things. What do you recommend I buy? What kinds of toys would be good to give to kids at a daycamp? What kind of books? Are we talking books like single readings like The Berenstain Bears or chapter books like Magic Tree House? I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Dd made pipe cleaner animals with kids in the barios of Peru. Cheap, light weight and fun to do together. Often the place you are going has specific requests. Do remember to factor in the weight of the extras in her suitcase.

Wow, I've stumped the hive. I feel better that I couldn't think of anything. Thanks Starr. I do like the idea of craft materials. I know they are taking crafty things to Costa Rica. It's the local trip that has us worried. They specifically said toys, balls, and books. I guess I'm just going to get some story books that can be read in one sitting. I don't want to take toys that have lots of pieces or need batteries. I guess I can fall back on a baby doll but I'd much rather have gender neutral toys. I also don't know what kind of ball. Are we talking a regular bouncing ball, soccer ball, football? I've no clue. I told dd she shouldn't have waited until 2 days before camp to ask this question. But no one is answering her on the FB page so I'm wondering if the other students are having the same type of problem she is with knowing what to bring.

What about deflated bouncy balls and a pump from the $1 store? We do that when we fill shoeboxes for Christmas. Puzzles can be lightweight and gender neutral. Stuffed animal toys, board or card games, Legos are small and light weight. As for books, I'd get a couple of different levels. Coloring books and markers or crayons?

Is there time for her to collect items from friends? Like a small toy or book drive?

Unfortunately, no. She has to be there at 7:00pm tonight. We don't have to get much. I'm going to pick up two books, a regular bouncing ball, and bubbles. That's all stuff they can use during camp. She's going to have so much fun!