Menu

My 9th grader made an outline and a well done paper

You just gotta jump for joy when years of work pays off!:tongue_smilie:

Hopefully that's not too "bragadocious" just sharing some enthusiasm that homeschooling does work!

Whoo hooo! Not too bragadocious!!!! I love reading posts like this, it encourages me to keep on plugging away (esp. at writing!).

Did he do a rewrite of the outline - is that what you mean by well done paper? I'd love to hear how you went about helping him with this, if so. :)

My 9th grader made an outline and a well done paper

You just gotta jump for joy when years of work pays off!:tongue_smilie:

Hopefully that's not too "bragadocious" just sharing some enthusiasm that homeschooling does work!

Share away! It's great to hear that things are working. (And feel free to share what you've done to get to this stage ....)

Regards,

Kareni

What did we do to get to this point?

He's still alive in spite of multiple crying jags on the floor tempting me to strap him to the nearest yellow school bus ;)

We've used IEW disks repeatedly and not the student ones, mostly the TWSS and I have him watch the section pertaining to whatever paper he's writing.

Initially we did IEW's 15 week intensive to get familiar with everything (all their secret code words, haha and such). After that we moved to TOG's writing. I don't have writing aids yet but plan to get it, as I've seen it and it is very helpful. Includes rubrics of what to look for in their papers to help grade them.

I think the biggest thing really, in all honesty is just a maturity. He is now able to put all the steps of writing together to come up with some interesting statements, actually have a position of thought towards coming up with a thesis and arguing it or at least addressing it (lol).

His spelling is still needing help, his corrections could be a bit more thorough but I am very happy with what I'm finally seeing.

Hang in girls, be encouraging. Writing is tough.

Oh yes, we've occasionally written things together. Coming up with ideas for graphic organizers with someone else is much easier than on your own. We also write about things which he is just studying to refresh the info. Makes me soo happy that he got his history text and actually USED it to write his outline!