Menu

Lamictal

Quiver0f10

I have 2 on Lamictal.

One is on the generic and does great with it.

The other is on NAME BRAND ONLY as when they tried to switch her to generic (same dose, timing, etc.) she became toxic and ended up needing all sorts of emergency care.  She can NOT tolerate the generic.  She is also very sensitive to other meds and either needs a low dose or a very high dose for therapeutic levels.

Both, and I did not notice a difference between brand name and generic. It gave me insomnia and I dealt with that for a very long time, even after I stopped taking it.

Ditto. I finally quit taking it about two months ago because the insomnia was so bad (leading to hallucinations and a complete break down). I am sleeping better than I have in years and now that I am off it, I can tell that it really wasn't helping me anyhow. 

Thank you all. My son has been on name brand since he started it 6 years ago but due to insurance issues we will need to switch togeneric. I am wondering how the transition will go....

Lamictal is a very finicky med. There is almost always a noticeable effect when making any kind of change be it dosage or brand name to generic or even from one generic to another. Sometimes all that is required is a small adjustment period. Other times the change simply can not be tolerated. As far as insurance is concerned, you will most likely have to try the generic and then if there are problems the insurance company will require a note from you doctor explaining that your son needs the brand name. It really is unfair to the patient to have to deal with the potential upset but the insurance company is generally more concerned with their bottom line.