Menu

I may not have a roommate next year?

Guest ajp1025

Guest ajp1025

Roommate assignments for my college were just released this past Friday. I emailed my roommate and she lives in another country. The problem is, she is still deciding between my college and a college in her country where she doesn't find out acceptance until August, right before move-in day. Because of this and the fact that we are in a living-learning village makes me feel that if she doesn't come here, I will not have a roommate. However, I will be in a suite with six other girls. So, my question for the people here is: did anyone else live without out a roommate? What are some positives and negatives of living without a roommate? What are some ways I can make friends the first few days? How should I go about gathering decorations and supplies for next year, considering I won't know if she's coming until last minute? Thank you!

Believe it or not, there will be several last-minute drops, and sudden new students as well.  They'll probably pair you with one of them, if the need arises.  That happened to my daughter (who only decided to go at the last minute).  It all worked out.

I did not have a roommate after my freshman year due to drops. I was on a busy floor with 32 women and did not get lonely or lack for social opportunities. I actually really enjoyed the privacy my room afforded and found that I loved studying there instead of going to the library as Ihad been forced to do when I did have a roommate. The reason for never studying in myroom was the roommate was incredibly inconsiderate and loud...only in college for thesocial aspect and she NEVER did any work or studying thus failing out.

It will turn out okay!

You should have no problem making friends in your living situation regardless of whether you get a roommate or not.

I'm guessing you will get one, but it's just a guess.

The "hardest" part is the dorm room shopping for "big" items.  Since it's a suite, do you need to bring a fridge and/or microwave?  Those two tend to be the things roomies "figure out" the most - perhaps gaming systems too for those who are into that.  Other decorating items you want, get, but I'd do it with half a room in mind.  You can always add later if you wish.  It is ok if the colors, etc, don't match.  That's expected in a dorm room.  ;)

As someone who had a roommate for 3 of my 4 years in college...there were many times I wished I were alone!

Things change. You might get a different roommate assigned if she decides not to go to your school. On-campus spaces, at least where I went to college, were a premium. They will be filled.

I think, also, it is important to realize that not everyone becomes super besties with their roommates. It is a learning experience, living with a stranger, that can be good, bad, or neutral. I've had all three. You'll meet your suite-mates, you'll meet people in classes, and (most importantly) you should join activities where you can make new friends! 

As for decorations-- don't worry-- less is more. Bring a pretty bedspread, perhaps a nice rug or two, but don't go overboard. You have all year to decorate. 

I know it is worrying (I totally get it), but it will be OK. If you're really worried, call the school and see if you can talk to someone about it. 

My son had a single on a suite type floor for all four years, and it worked beautifully for him. My daughter had a roommate freshman year, but her college doesn't release roommate assignments & rooms until students arrive on campus for move-in day. So she had no way to arrange matching decor or to discuss who's going to bring the mini fridge. It still worked out OK!

Best of luck to you!