Menu

best resource for letter sounds/motions?

mamabear2three

Are you looking for something like this? I haven't used these with DS3 because he mostly knows his letters and sounds. But I keep that bookmarked just in case it should ever be helpful.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I may look at AAR prelevel too, we tried level 1 with DD6 but it totally didn't work - 5 minutes a day of phonics pathways on the other hand was nearly miraculous. The problem is the program I used to teach her the sounds (Alphabet island) is not going to work for DD3 (who is asking to learn) because she's not ready for the handwriting portion.

I didn't think about ASL, but that's not a bad idea either... thanks for the suggestion!

Why not use ASL fingerspelling, or signed language of choice?

I do that with dd's spelling lessons because her handwriting isn't up to scratch yet.

This is exactly what I did, for a lot of reasons. I am convinced that adding the finger spelling adds a tactile component that is extremely helpful in learning to spell.

And another benefit: my dd4 has really beautiful penmanship and can write well. I assumed it was because she is a perfectionist and because it is something she loves to do...but during both her neuropsych evals and one by an OT, both commented that the fine motor skills gained in ASL more than likely contributed greatly.

This is exactly what I did, for a lot of reasons. I am convinced that adding the finger spelling adds a tactile component that is extremely helpful in learning to spell.

And another benefit: my dd4 has really beautiful penmanship and can write well. I assumed it was because she is a perfectionist and because it is something she loves to do...but during both her neuropsych evals and one by an OT, both commented that the fine motor skills gained in ASL more than likely contributed greatly.

That is so interesting! I didn't think that ASL would contribute that much to fine motor skills, but I suppose it would, making sure each finger is placed correctly.