Menu

All-Inclusive Homeschool-In-A-Box

Reefgazer

A friend needs some advice on homeschool curriculum and what she needs I have no idea about, so I told her I'd ask here:

Is there a homeschool supplier/company that mails you your books/supplies in a box and then the work is sent back for grading and record-keeping by the company?  Alternatively, an online program would be workable.  She needs a program for both high school and middle school and prefers not religious or not overly religious.  It needs to be simple and workable for someone who works full time and is a single parent.

This first thing that comes to mind is K12. I know there is Calvert- I believe they are planning on offering high school soon also, but that can be pretty pricey. There is also Oak Meadow. 

oak meadow

keystone

the ogburn school

laural springs school

K12 International but pricey

calvert/verticy

Texas Tech ISD {Lanny on here uses this}

Time4Learning/Time4Writing, maybe??

I can't think of any others at the moment. 

Catholic would be fine.  She doesn't want fundamentalist teachings in her school, but she is Catholic, so a Catholic base would be fine.

Is she interested in a Catholic education, by chance? I think Seton has something like that.

We have used Kolbe for high school and you can order all the lesson plans and texts from them and they will keep records for you and grade a certain number of assignments, but someone would still have to take charge the daily work and most assignments. From our experience, it was a very rigorous program and unless the children are independent, self-motivated students, I wouldn't personally use it if I had to work full-time. 

Check the high school board as well.  There are a bunch of university-based distance ed programs for middle and high school.  We used North Datkota this year (NDCDE), but University of Missouri and BYU are also popular here and use a mix of paper and online courses.