Menu

Need help thinking through class choices

elegantlion

I'm trying to think long-term and be realistic about my goals. My major is a BA in history and while I love archaeology, I realize that to even think about working in that field I need grad school. I'm also considering applied anthropology and public history. However, once I get my BA, I'm not sure how I'll feel about more school and a host of other reasons it might be better to work while getting an MA or stop at the BA. 

1. So, I'm trying to consider my minor. My school doesn't have an anthropology major or minor, otherwise I'd major in that, minor in history. I could piece together anthropology/linguistic/culture classes and not do a minor. Some of the grad schools for anthropology require a certain number of hours in anthropology courses. 

2. My other consideration is that I need to be employable. I'll be 50 or 51 when I graduate, so age is a factor. I will also probably need to stay in the same area, further limiting my choices. I'm considering adding a legal assistant minor which would allow me to work as a paralegal (my school has an ABA affiliated program). It's not a field I've ever considered, but my working skills seem to line up with the job description (talked to a paralegal in town last week). 

3. My other option is to minor in creative writing - which was my original homeschool retirement plan, writing. The school is bringing in a new teacher, one who works with more modern forms of publication - kind of updating the department I think. I don't expect my writing to pay the bills unless I am employed in the field somewhere. 

If I stay in this area, I'd like to consider project type work and travel part-time and writing part-time. Option 1 would probably prepare me better for grad school, option 2 would give me a more diverse resume and probably a better chance to work and afford an online grad school option, and option 3 would be my passion. I might be able to combine option 1 and 3 and maybe do a few classes of option 2. 

I'm not out to make lots of money, but I am concerned about getting a decent job with a history degree. However, that is the degree that gives me the most options for what I'd rather do for a job which is archaeology, anthropology, or public history. 

I don't have to decide this semester, however, I'm torn and trying to nail down my classes for fall. 

What is the paralegal pay scale compared to other things you can do, like substitute teach?

Paralegal pay is better, based upon the little I know about either. I'd rather work for a lawyer than substitute teach. I wouldn't make a good classroom teacher, even as a substitute. 

Are you in an urban area where there are multiple job openings/opportunities for people with the skills you would have when you finished your degree?  Since you want to stay in your current geographic location, that would be more of a factor in a job search than age, I think.

I'm trying to think long-term and be realistic about my goals. My major is a BA in history and while I love archaeology, I realize that to even think about working in that field I need grad school. I'm also considering applied anthropology and public history. However, once I get my BA, I'm not sure how I'll feel about more school and a host of other reasons it might be better to work while getting an MA or stop at the BA. 

1. So, I'm trying to consider my minor. My school doesn't have an anthropology major or minor, otherwise I'd major in that, minor in history. I could piece together anthropology/linguistic/culture classes and not do a minor. Some of the grad schools for anthropology require a certain number of hours in anthropology courses. 

2. My other consideration is that I need to be employable. I'll be 50 or 51 when I graduate, so age is a factor. I will also probably need to stay in the same area, further limiting my choices. I'm considering adding a legal assistant minor which would allow me to work as a paralegal (my school has an ABA affiliated program). It's not a field I've ever considered, but my working skills seem to line up with the job description (talked to a paralegal in town last week). 

3. My other option is to minor in creative writing - which was my original homeschool retirement plan, writing. The school is bringing in a new teacher, one who works with more modern forms of publication - kind of updating the department I think. I don't expect my writing to pay the bills unless I am employed in the field somewhere. 

If I stay in this area, I'd like to consider project type work and travel part-time and writing part-time. Option 1 would probably prepare me better for grad school, option 2 would give me a more diverse resume and probably a better chance to work and afford an online grad school option, and option 3 would be my passion. I might be able to combine option 1 and 3 and maybe do a few classes of option 2. 

I'm not out to make lots of money, but I am concerned about getting a decent job with a history degree. However, that is the degree that gives me the most options for what I'd rather do for a job which is archaeology, anthropology, or public history. 

I don't have to decide this semester, however, I'm torn and trying to nail down my classes for fall. 

Are you in an urban area where there are multiple job openings/opportunities for people with the skills you would have when you finished your degree?  Since you want to stay in your current geographic location, that would be more of a factor in a job search than age, I think.

No, I'm currently in the outer suburbs, but willing to move closer to the city after graduation, which is part of my consideration too. My job search will include a large urban area. 

It's not too early now for you to start thinking about this.  It might help to think more "backwards" about the problem, and look for jobs now that you think would be interesting, and would fit your desires and needs, then see what major/minor these jobs need, who (if anyone) in your area is hiring these kinds of people, and work from there.  Do this, instead of trying to find a major that fits your interest, and only in your senior year, figure out what jobs need that major.

You college should have a job placement/careers office that you should visit and see what kind of jobs history majors are landing.  It might also be useful to network with seniors in history and other majors of interest, and see what their job prospects are like.  Have you read the book "What color is my parachute"?

It's not too early now for you to start thinking about this.  It might help to think more "backwards" about the problem, and look for jobs now that you think would be interesting, and would fit your desires and needs, then see what major/minor these jobs need, who (if anyone) in your area is hiring these kinds of people, and work from there.  Do this, instead of trying to find a major that fits your interest, and only in your senior year, figure out what jobs need that major.

You college should have a job placement/careers office that you should visit and see what kind of jobs history majors are landing.  It might also be useful to network with seniors in history and other majors of interest, and see what their job prospects are like.  Have you read the book "What color is my parachute"?

This is how I landed on my 3 areas, and this is one of the reasons I'm considering a paralegal minor. I am concerned about that area being saturated by the time I graduate, however. History as a major will allow me the most options in the areas I want to work. Writing as a minor could help me network and gain exposure. Pulling together a "custom" minor could make me a better candidate for the grad schools I'm considering (highly competitive). 

Part of my hesitation with this semester is I'm taking one class from each of the three areas. I'm taking a history class as well. I can only take 4 classes a semester due to my financial situation and I wanted to get another general ed out of the way too. The law and anthropology class would be electives, both being prerequisite classes. I may drop that other general ed, take these 3 classes and decide after this semester. 

Argh, just lost a super-long, elegantly thought-out reply, lol! Here's the retry: 

I am brutally practical, b/c economic security is important to me. fwiw, it sounds like we're about the same age. 

Out of everything you mentioned, paralegal sounds like the most realistic 'make a living' solution to me. To that end, I would immediately start angling for a job at a law firm, any job. This will vastly increase your chances of being someday employed as a paralegal. Around here, entry level jobs, like receptionist, often serve as feeder positions that take on more and more responsibility (and, while it can certainly help, a specific degree is not needed). If you decide there is no way you will do paralegal, one job in a professional setting will help gain a different job in a professional setting (and you will meet a boatload of people). 

If I could get a full-time job in a professional setting, school would absolutely take a back seat, and I would do everything I could go make that happen (including moving closer to the city now, if that's at all a possibility). For an older person with no recent experience, I think this is more likely to lead to greater things, as opposed to a degree in the fields you are considering. 

Writing: I'm no expert, but I have enough experience to tell you that writing and editing jobs have long been notorious for poor pay and unreliability, and this is just getting worse and worse (internet plus companies merging). After 10 years of writing part-time for our metropolitan newspaper, I declined to sign the outrageous new contract when they were bought out by a major conglomerate. Even though I never did it to pay the bills, the new structure was just insane, and not worth it even to keep my resume up. 

Also, I don't know that a creative writing minor is very helpful whilst looking for a writing job. Creative writing is just a different animal. If you have time, focus on gaining experience and clips by volunteering to edit, write, etc for something like the local historical society. As for networking, you want to meet professionals and potential employers, not other students, kwim? 

This is what I would do, based on my personal priorities and concerns. I am not willing to bet the house on something I would like to do. Also, unless I were going for a very concrete degree with a very specified job at the end, I would worry that school is only putting off what I need to do for another four to five years. I would weigh four years spent getting a history degree versus four years gaining job experience, any job experience, very carefully. 

Argh, just lost a super-long, elegantly thought-out reply, lol! Here's the retry: 

I am brutally practical, b/c economic security is important to me. fwiw, it sounds like we're about the same age. 

Out of everything you mentioned, paralegal sounds like the most realistic 'make a living' solution to me. To that end, I would immediately start angling for a job at a law firm, any job. This will vastly increase your chances of being someday employed as a paralegal. Around here, entry level jobs, like receptionist, often serve as feeder positions that take on more and more responsibility (and, while it can certainly help, a specific degree is not needed). If you decide there is no way you will do paralegal, one job in a professional setting will help gain a different job in a professional setting (and you will meet a boatload of people). 

If I could get a full-time job in a professional setting, school would absolutely take a back seat, and I would do everything I could go make that happen (including moving closer to the city now, if that's at all a possibility). For an older person with no recent experience, I think this is more likely to lead to greater things, as opposed to a degree in the fields you are considering. 

Writing: I'm no expert, but I have enough experience to tell you that writing and editing jobs have long been notorious for poor pay and unreliability, and this is just getting worse and worse (internet plus companies merging). After 10 years of writing part-time for our metropolitan newspaper, I declined to sign the outrageous new contract when they were bought out by a major conglomerate. Even though I never did it to pay the bills, the new structure was just insane, and not worth it even to keep my resume up. 

Also, I don't know that a creative writing minor is very helpful whilst looking for a writing job. Creative writing is just a different animal. If you have time, focus on gaining experience and clips by volunteering to edit, write, etc for something like the local historical society. As for networking, you want to meet professionals and potential employers, not other students, kwim? 

This is what I would do, based on my personal priorities and concerns. I am not willing to bet the house on something I would like to do. Also, unless I were going for a very concrete degree with a very specified job at the end, I would worry that school is only putting off what I need to do for another four to five years. I would weigh four years spent getting a history degree versus four years gaining job experience, any job experience, very carefully. 

Part of the issue in our area is that any decent jobs require a degree, any degree. I couldn't get hired in any type of job that would offer security without a BA/BS. 4-5 years of working will not garner me anything except topping out at entry level jobs (did that in the 90s). 

Moving without a degree is useless because I couldn't afford rent closer to the city without a decent paying job, which I can't get without the degree - so catch-22. College is also allowing me the freedom of time to finish homeschooling my son for his final two years - his education is my highest priority. Believe me, I've weighed the options for my situation (which is more complicated than I can explain here) and college is my best option for this time. 

Have you considered looking for a combination job that involves legal work with a construction company or developer to deal with the archaeological concerns regarding property they are planning to build on?

You would need to familiarize yourself with the various antiquities preservation laws in your area and check to see which companies seem to be working in areas where they are likely to come across archaeological features. Usually some sort of legal impact statement has to be filed prior to their work or updates filed during the work.

I realize that many historians/archaeologists have a love/HATE relationship with builders and developers. However, it seems to me that it would be much better to have someone who actually cares about history and preservation involved in writing the impact statements. When we lived in Florida, I was involved in a few seagrass mitigation projects that developers had to do as part of their impact plans. While it would be lovely not to have the original seagrass beds damaged in the first place, it is much better to have people who love and understand the environment being those who help the developers with their mitigation plans and activities than to leave it to people with no training and little interest.

And an aside, the developers usually have deep enough pockets to pay a decent wage to people with specialized knowledge they hire to manage key areas, such as compliance with artifact or environment laws and requirements.